Sign in to follow this  

C# and Game Programming

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am doing a senior seminar project on Game Programming in C#. I an intermediate programmer in C++, so i assume the move to C# would not be too hard. However, I don't know any C# and have never programmed a game. I need some pointers on where to start learning about Game Programming? Any basic concepts I need to learn? What is the best way to pick up C#? I do have Visual .NET. Thanks alot.

Hmm, you picked enough extremes for a seminar project :-) Why did you choose c#? It is not that C# is bad or can't make games, but you don't know it yet, and now you have to learn that on top of game programming :-) I am hoping this seminar project is for like next year...

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. Google c# tutorials, c# game programming, c# game tutorials.

You should definately try to pick up C# first, probably by trying a set of semi-easy applications. After that you are going to want to pick up a graphics library to learn (Technically you can use the .Net Graphics objects, but I've only experienced pain trying to get a nice refresh rate). There are a few choices depending on what you want to do.

If you want 2D, I would probably look at SDL.Net. If you want 3D, DirectX9 comes in a .Net flavor, and you can use OpenGL through TAO.Net(Did I get that right?).

Finally, if you aren't ready for a difficult project, I would probably turn around right now >_>

I already bought Ron's book, but it hasn't gotten here yet. As far as extremes, the goal of my senior sem (which is this semester) is to learn basics of C# while learning the basics of Game Programming. I'm not wanting to make a 3D or even 2D game, as much as learn about how they are made. I'm willing to only program a simple text or maybe very basic 2D game (tetris). However, I'd like to figure out, what will be the topics i need to cover? Should I learn about data structures for games? Algorithms used in games?
Thanks again.

Well, how much you need to learn really depends on what you plan on doing. If you're going "all the way", where you want to eventually code in the industry, the more you know the better, and you're going to spend quite some time learning game dev. However, that's another issue.

C# is not extremely difficult to understand once you know C++. I made the switch, rather leisurely in about 2 months. But I didn't have a good book or tutorials to work off. If you know Java, by the way, you pretty much know C#.

However, tor tutorials, you might want to look at

csharp-station

It's a great site for tutorials. I haven't bought his book yet, but I probably will because I've been so impressed with his stuff.

Also, game programming has many elements. There's obviously the understanding of a graphical API, which can take a little bit of time to do. if you want to get straight to more game design rather than graphical issues, you may want to jump into an engine. I'm going to plug my engine just because it will prob fit in really well with what you're trying to do:

FlatRedBall

Hope this all helps,

--Vic--

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.