Sign in to follow this  
lack o comments

Best time to release EVERYTHING?

I have been meaning to ask this since that first fateful day I put down Turbo C++ picked up VC6 and started converting all my DOS stuff to DirectX ;) Can I release everything in a vector supplied by "atexit()"? I think someone once told me that it SHOULD be done before the return from WinMain. But that was never really definite.

If you must "release" the elements of a vector, you must do it before the vector itself is "released" or goes out of scope.

You can release COM objects in an atexit function. I don't think it will hurt anything, but that is probably not the best way to do it.

Your question is a little unclear, I hope one of these answered it.

I had to double check the date this message was posted. Turbo C++ and DOS :-)

I think you should look for another way to release your data than using atexit.

1) Any object which takes a HWND as a parameter to its Create*() call should be released BEFORE the window the HWND refers to has been destroyed (i.e. before DestroyWindow()).

2) When you Create*() any object which takes a HWND, you should do it when the creation of that window has truly completed (i.e. preferably after CreateWindow() succeeds rather from any windows message you may get half-way through creation).