A total newbie question... regarding DX

Started by
10 comments, last by JonatanHedborg 23 years, 5 months ago
So, ive been using DJGPP w/ allegro for a while now, and i think its time for me to move on to something a bit more proffesional... Like DirectX. I have MSVC6.0, the SDK etc... Now i just have to get a SIMPLE sample program, so i can learn how to use it... The problem is that i really cant find one... sob... ohh well, if anyone commes across one, please post the adress here... or send it to my email (jonatan.hedborg@chello.se) Thanks in forehand (hmm, is that correct english?) ======================= Game project(s): www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Advertisement
Allegro is a great starting point however most programs made with it are all in C. Which as I said is a good starting point. As you get into Windows programming and Direct X you realy need a little bit of a grasp on C++. Classes and name spaces specificaly. After that you should be able to find some sample programs that are "simple" enough to get you started. I''d start with the DOS to DirectX samples in the programming section of game dev.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
I am not a TOTAL NEWBIE. Only when it commes to windows programing...

Then i just dont know where to start, thats all...

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
Well, Windows programming and DirextX are 2 seperate but related things. I''d REALLY suggest learning one or the other first, then move on to the other when you start to get comfortable with the first.

You can write console applications that open up DirectX Windows etc... and then you''ll just have to deal with a bare minimum of Win32 like very basic message handlers and window creation.

I would suggest learning the basics of Win32 first though, it''ll make your directx experience much less of a headache. You don''t need to know very much COM for DirectX, but you do need to understand message handling, thread scheduling (a little) and such.
You could always invest in a copy of Andre LaMothe''s "Tricks of the Windows Programming Guru''s". It''s got some pretty good introductory stuff (or just borrow a friend''s copy). It explains enough C++ to get into basic Window''s programming and DirectX. I''m not sure where to get any simple DX source for free though.
There is some good starter source code in the triangle demo TrivWin and TrivFS in the Direct3dX section, but just remember they are using d3dx, and in most apps you will find that they create the interfaces themselves. There is a tutorial on this inside the docs as well.

However, I would also recommend Kovach''s "Inside Direct3D" for a semi-decent starter (ignoring the simple fact that Mr. Kovach leaves out A LOT of explanation for his code) because it shows how to set up d3d and prepare for rendering.

If you want to waste some money, there is always "Teach yourself DirectX7 in 24 hours" <<<----- LAUGH!

Hope this helps.

-Etnu

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

There''s a series of Win32/DirectX tutorials on my site (though I haven''t gone too far into DirectX yet) which I think are pretty easy to understand, and several of them have example programs you can download along with them. Follow the link in my sig and go to the "Resources" section.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
I will look in to your page, Ironblayde.

Thnx

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
quote:Original post by JonatanHedborg
Thanks in forehand (hmm, is that correct english?)

It's "Thanks in advance"

I only use DirectX to go into fullscreen mode and create a front buffer...I keep all my other surfaces in surface memory and handles the rest myself, it's way much faster than having DirectX do it (no I don't want to use any video memory surfaces! No kick ass D3D enhanced effects either ) and I don't have to deal with almost any of the DirectX API, yay.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

Edited by - Staffan on October 31, 2000 2:00:35 PM
I resently converted from DOS programming using Allegro to DirectX, at first I used DX with winallegro but I soon gave that up, you have much more control if you use clean API coding

anyway here some good tutorials that should help you getting started (don''t worry if you don''t understand the window coding, you''ll learn in time)

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ball0597/Reference/WindowsProgramming/DirectX/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement