VisualBasic 6.0 newb

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 19 years, 2 months ago
I would like to learn VB6 but i need some direction on how to start. My future projects are going to be about games and 3D game engines.And i want to do them in VB6. So please help me on where can i start learning VB6.Tips,books,sites,etc...
Advertisement
Before you can make any game, you really need to know how to program (from a programmers standpoint ofcourse, hehe).

If you still have to start, you're better of with vb.net (even though IMHO it sux compared to vb6) because sadly .net is propably gonna be the future.. at the moment there are more game/directx tutorials for vb.net than there are for vb6..

instead of asking here, try using google (internet/newsgroups)..

http://www.vbgamer.com/ is also a start once you've mastered vb.(Seems to be offline now)
What's wrong with VB.NET? It's just as easy to learn and prepares you very nicely for learning C#. I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Visual Studio Express 2005 is very good.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Although the site is no longer maintained/updated, you may find Lucky's VB Gaming Tutorials (the new site by the creator can be found here).

Also of potential interest will be VB Fibre, which deals mostly with optimisation. The information on this site however, is somewhat advanced, and you shouldn't worry about this kind of optimisation until you have a good grounding in VB programming.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok so i shoudnt learn it!...

Should i go Learn Python or Basic instead?
Why don't you check out Dark Basic.
I'd definitely recommend Managed directx with vb .net express...
Pick a language and learn it. As much as people like arguing over which language is the best, for the most part it's agreed upon that it doesn't really matter which one you start with, as long as you stick with it, and learn all the fundamental concepts.

I started seriously programming using Visual Basic 6 (QBasic before that, but really just messing around), and while I wouldn't particularly recommend it, it is a perfectly acceptable choice. Most people would, however, tell you to at least use the most recent version of the language, ie. VB.NET (You can look into that yourself, still feel free to start with VB6 if that's what you would prefer).

My personal recommendation would be to jump right into C/C++, as it's an industry standard, and there are plenty of resources available - however, many people consider C++ to be too difficult for an absolute beginner. It's up to you if you think you can handle a challenge - it is difficult, but it can be done if you put in the time and effort.

Other common recommendations include Java and Python.

Basically, you're going to have to choose a language, a stick with it until you've got a firm grasp on programming concepts - once that is done, it's much easier than you might think to become comfortable in aditional languages. Some still have trouble, and the transitions from some particular languages to others may be more difficult than others, but the concensus is that it's certainly always far easier than learning from scratch.

Some further reading that may aid your decision:
- What Language Do I Use? (from For Beginners/Start Here)
- For Beginners Forum FAQ
- Programming Languages! (recent forum thread started by you)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement