Negotiate, Dominate, Eliminate

Started by
13 comments, last by Wavinator 19 years, 2 months ago
I like your setting idea. It gives me a distinct reminder of the last half of Deus Ex. The whole quantum computing ghost-in-the-machine sort of thing. You could do a lot with that.

If you haven't played Star Control 2, I'd like to recommend it... it sounds somewhat like what you're trying to do, although much more limited.

It's freeware now, I think.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
The Gods of the Machine

[smile] I must say, I'm completely psyched when this stuff starts inspiring fan fic!! Go TechnoGoth!!!

(You're seeing this stuff, btw, as I do)

Quote:
I like the idea of the player doesn't have magic powers but instead can control the technology around them. My thoughts on a leveling system for something like this would be that you have diffrent fields for your Core and you either put points into increasing a core value or the fields increase through use.
Instead of having "magic" spells or abilites your abilites relate to the values in those fields. For instance causing smart bullets to fly back at the attacker or using the nanites in persons body to take control of the person would all be a matter of having the right number of points ane utilizing the correct type of machine ability.
Abilites like:
Hack
Control
Influence

This is more textured than I was thinking, so thanks! I like. Rather than just building up keys to areas, as I'd imagined, you're actually building up stats to handle a certain area. Wow, just considering this, there's a lot of room for variety and specialization. There could be different stats for different systems, which require different body / brain mods to enhance your Core.

It would be a nice tradeoff if your character's stats had to be balanced against the environment's stats. Do you want more personal defense, given by cybernetics, or more ability to control those construction cranes over your enemy's head?

Quote:
So control depending on your core levels could allow to you activate a planets climate control system to cause rain, stop a cybernetic enhanced creature from moving, assinate a vip by stopping their pace maker or start a way by causing the guns on a ship to open fire on an ally.

No, no, this is the right track. I was thinking that you only had keys that could do this (like encryption keys or access protocols) but the idea of stats is more interesting, and would control whatever objects could be put in.

Quote:
My mine concern with this like your previous idea was size.

Yeah, I know, this one never goes away when I talk with people about this stuff. [lol] (Just makes me take it more seriously)

Quote:
I feel that a large open end world can quickly become null. Espically if I don't feel I'm going anyway in the game and wasting most of my time traveling from place to place, or wasting it in the same place since there doesn't seem to be any where interesting to go. That why I think the idea of the player being hunted is a good one. If you can keep the player with a sense of always being on the move and trying to keep on step ahead of their pursures it would make for a more interesting game. Thats my thoughts anyway, I for one have always disliked the fact that in most openended game nothing much happens, and even important will gladly stay on hold until I'm ready to experince them.

Yes, I completely agree with you. The lack of fulfilling ending and deadspace without interesting events or goals is what really hurts this genre, I think.

To that end I think three ideas help: Other "highlanders" hunting you to keep a touch of pressure on; changing events in the larger would which you can impact through your powers; and a kind of go-anywhere gameplay I got from The Sims (you can throw a Sim into any environment and get a challenge).

Thanks for the feedback!
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Beige
I like your setting idea. It gives me a distinct reminder of the last half of Deus Ex. The whole quantum computing ghost-in-the-machine sort of thing. You could do a lot with that.

Thanks. Can you think of any ways of increasing the appeal of the setting?

Quote:
If you haven't played Star Control 2, I'd like to recommend it... it sounds somewhat like what you're trying to do, although much more limited.

[grin] Thanks for the reference. I've blasted many a Ur-Quan in my day! Loved that game!

Out of curiousity, do you think people have forgotten what it's like to play such a game? I don't see many like it these days.
Quote:
Premise: In a shattered galaxy, Illumanti-style groups struggle for control by manipulating pawns who have the power to unify a fragmented, insane AI.

Good; lots of opportunities. .. Ooh insane AI nice idea, like it!

Quote:
Backstory Summary: (skip if you've heard) Galactic civilization thrived for millions of years until the appearance of the Siegers, monsters that devoured entire empires in a few decades. In the 11th hour, a miracle plan stopped the Siegers, but left society devastated.

Siegers ? silly name.
‘devoured entire empires in a few decades’ --- ‘improbably rescuer arrives from no where for no good reason!’ (quote from Danger Mouse; erm, too much of a cliche)
It could happen of course; but too convenient. Especially.. surprise surprise.. a miracle plan.. ..... To text book.

It does work though, I am just not fond of it.

A few ideas how a prospering civilization can go to hell fast:

‘Beserker’ series (Fred Saberhagen) idea (In short: large planet killing machines made by an ancient race to wipe out another other ancient race; They did that, very well.);
Terminator (movie) idea: If people there = bad; people here = bad ? *processessing*... (Perhaps cause of mega AI's insanity ?)
Swarm of intergalactic locusts ? (cheesy random event :P)
erm..
Someone forgot to pay the power bill.. erm. ok I'll stop now.

Either way, I think it nice to have the galaxy's downfall due to the inhabitants’ actions/pompousness and such. Nice subtle moral lesson ;)

Quote:
Now, hundreds of years later, society struggles back from the brink. Much of society has fallen into various tech levels ranging from barbarian to barely spacefaring. Space travel still exists, largely thanks to a few worlds, but it is primitive (think Babylon 5). But behind the scenes a few groups have retained Galactic power and are viciously fighting to shape the galaxy in their own image.

Oh plausible.. good good.

Quote:
Setting: Different worlds around the galaxy, some high tech, many backward and struggling to survive. Randomly generated but with key hand-created locations.

That works.

Quote:
Setup:
All your life you've been strange.

I know.

Quote:
Sometimes you hear voices, but can't always understand what they say. Sometimes you know of danger before it happens. You can get into doors that have been sealed for centuries. You're never sick. Once, when you were a child, you fell off a cliff and broke so many bones you should have died. But you survived by eating shiny rocks, and after a few days, you were fine.

Shiny rocks? Did I get a side of moss with that ? (aka um, yea right; make sure to flesh this part out well)

Quote:
On your world, you were called a Machine Talker, and the brutal theocracy persecuted everyone like you. When they discovered your gift, you had to flee. Now you've arrived at a destinatation that's been calling you, the most advanced world known in the galaxy.

'Machine Talker' .. well have to be called something I guess.

oh persecuted.. reason for conflict and adventure; good.

'inner voice' = plot/how to play help for no good reason; Good.

Quote:
Your hope is to build a new life. But soon you learn that your gifts are accelerating. You suddenly have the power to control more and more. And now people are trying to kill you.

My hope is to find answers.
Oh people trying to kill me; more conflict etc. Reasonable/Good.

Quote:
Ultimately, you learn that you are central to the plans of one of many Illuminati factions, each backed by a fragment of the godlike AI that once served Galactic civilization. You carry miraculous, lost Galactic technology throughout your body, passed down over the generations. Now, a faction has infected you with the seed for a Core, a new, ultrapowerful AI that, if it gains enough power, could assimilate all others.

Cool, the plot thickens!

you carry..miraculous..lost..technology ... neat, I'm special..

infected me.. hum, ok someone is on my shit list..

My first thought was build new core at expense of character so obviously character's self preservation kicks in and doesn’t want this to happen.; Seems not what you intend though; I don't really understand Character/Core relation.

Quote:
If that was not bad enough, the faction's rivals want to neutralize or assimilate YOU, using their own Corekeepers. As a pawn without any guidance, you must survive your attackers and ultimately face the Illumaniti group that did this to you.

Sounds like adventure to me, and promising.

Game play screams RPG to me. But then I like RPG more than RTS.
Quote:Original post by FeralOfEclecticWizard
Good; lots of opportunities. .. Ooh insane AI nice idea, like it!

It's my experience that you can get a lot of mileage out of the crazy machine / god idea. :)

Quote:
Siegers ? silly name.

I'd be interested to know why you think this. Does the name have a silly association that you immediately think of, or are you expecting them to sound more "bad-ass."

The name has to be generic because you can't communicate with them. It also has to describe their activity, which is to settle in orbit around a planet by the millions and drain the life from every living thing. I chose Siegers because they've placed the Galaxy "under siege."

Quote:
‘devoured entire empires in a few decades’ --- ‘improbably rescuer arrives from no where for no good reason!’ (quote from Danger Mouse; erm, too much of a cliche)

Yeah, the road to story hell is paved with good cliches. ;)

Of course, save the world plots are quite inspiring. Humans saving the universe as a start of the story (as opposed to the end) is an inversion that I hope might work to spur interest in the game world.

Quote:
‘Beserker’ series (Fred Saberhagen) idea (In short: large planet killing machines made by an ancient race to wipe out another other ancient race; They did that, very well.);
Terminator (movie) idea: If people there = bad; people here = bad ? *processessing*... (Perhaps cause of mega AI's insanity ?)

Just finished Brother Assassin by Saberhagen, which features time travel and Beserkers trying to screw up the timeline. Very neat (reminds me of Star Trek: First Contact). This ties in with your next...

Quote:
Swarm of intergalactic locusts ? (cheesy random event :P)
erm..
[/qutoe]

Von Neuman nanotechnology? Yes, that would work, but there's a problem with that...

Quote:
Either way, I think it nice to have the galaxy's downfall due to the inhabitants’ actions/pompousness and such. Nice subtle moral lesson ;)

This is actually what I'm trying to avoid. What I don't like about it is it's as badly an overdone trope as what you cited above. Worse, though, it's the familiar "sinner complex" storyline which I think we've been obsessed with in SF since the late 1970s. Either we kill ourselves with nukes, nanotech, biotech, or environmental mistreatment.

What would happen, though, if it was a matter of fate? That notion gives our modern day mania for control and personal manifest destiny an upset stomach, but I think the ancient Greeks would understand it.

Quote:
Now, hundreds of years later, society struggles back from the brink. Much of society has fallen into various tech levels ranging from barbarian to barely spacefaring. Space travel still exists, largely thanks to a few worlds, but it is primitive (think Babylon 5). But behind the scenes a few groups have retained Galactic power and are viciously fighting to shape the galaxy in their own image.

Oh plausible.. good good.

Quote:
Setting: Different worlds around the galaxy, some high tech, many backward and struggling to survive. Randomly generated but with key hand-created locations.

That works.

Quote:
Setup:
All your life you've been strange.

I know.

Quote:
Sometimes you hear voices, but can't always understand what they say. Sometimes you know of danger before it happens. You can get into doors that have been sealed for centuries. You're never sick. Once, when you were a child, you fell off a cliff and broke so many bones you should have died. But you survived by eating shiny rocks, and after a few days, you were fine.

Shiny rocks? Did I get a side of moss with that ? (aka um, yea right; make sure to flesh this part out well)

Quote:
On your world, you were called a Machine Talker, and the brutal theocracy persecuted everyone like you. When they discovered your gift, you had to flee. Now you've arrived at a destinatation that's been calling you, the most advanced world known in the galaxy.

'Machine Talker' .. well have to be called something I guess.

oh persecuted.. reason for conflict and adventure; good.

'inner voice' = plot/how to play help for no good reason; Good.

Quote:
Your hope is to build a new life. But soon you learn that your gifts are accelerating. You suddenly have the power to control more and more. And now people are trying to kill you.

My hope is to find answers.
Oh people trying to kill me; more conflict etc. Reasonable/Good.

Quote:
Ultimately, you learn that you are central to the plans of one of many Illuminati factions, each backed by a fragment of the godlike AI that once served Galactic civilization. You carry miraculous, lost Galactic technology throughout your body, passed down over the generations. Now, a faction has infected you with the seed for a Core, a new, ultrapowerful AI that, if it gains enough power, could assimilate all others.

Cool, the plot thickens!

you carry..miraculous..lost..technology ... neat, I'm special..

infected me.. hum, ok someone is on my shit list..

My first thought was build new core at expense of character so obviously character's self preservation kicks in and doesn’t want this to happen.; Seems not what you intend though; I don't really understand Character/Core relation.

Quote:
If that was not bad enough, the faction's rivals want to neutralize or assimilate YOU, using their own Corekeepers. As a pawn without any guidance, you must survive your attackers and ultimately face the Illumaniti group that did this to you.

Sounds like adventure to me, and promising.

Game play screams RPG to me. But then I like RPG more than RTS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement