• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gavinl

OpenGL Hi everyone, i'm new here :)

This topic is 4971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, i just found this site, and it looks pretty interesting. I reciently started working with openGL and GLUT, i'm reading the Red Book. I just have one question, GLUT seems to be for the C language, is there any api like GLUT thats built upon a C++ language? Thanks, Gavin

Advertisement
ild receommend sdl www.libsdl.org over glut (glut hasnt been updated for years) with both u can use c or c++ plus other languages

yup sdl is pretty much the adopted standard for simplicity when it comes to gl. setup your screen in a single function - can't say no to that. Although some people do have problems setting it up with certain compilers (mainly ms ones).
I use mingw & gcc, & aslong as you link to libraries "mingw32,sdlmain,sdl" in that order you shouldn't have any probs.
But yeah, grab it & be happy

I tried to read the openGL tutorials on NEHE but they are using some glaux.h file also, and i cant seem to find this anywhere on the net.

I just downloaded SDL i just gotta figure out how to make it work with Dev C++

actually GLUT is about to be revised and looks pretty interesting..with plans for newer/more flexible fonts, bug fixes and lots more.. its for linux and windows so everyone wins :)

its called OpenGlut

Quote:
Original post by Gavinl
What about Dev C++
will it work with that?
Thanks

yes ive used sdl with bloddshed devc++ in the past

Quote:
Original post by Gavinl
I tried to read the openGL tutorials on NEHE but they are using some glaux.h file also, and i cant seem to find this anywhere on the net.

I just downloaded SDL i just gotta figure out how to make it work with Dev C++
You need to get the SDL DevPak

Cool, i just got it all installed on dev C++, so far it looks pretty nice, doing some of the tutorials.
Thanks for your help guys

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!