Sign in to follow this  

2D engine comparison benchmarks

This topic is 4694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There are now a fair number of affordable (or free) 2D game engines available. I'm thinking of putting together a small set of simple benchmark test specifications to provide a somewhat standardized way to compare the various engines in terms of performance, ease of use, etc. An example test might be, at a fullscreen resolution of 800 x 600, render 500 alpha-blended rotating sprites each at a size of 64 x 64, all from the same 32 x 32 texture (with more specific details than that, but you get the idea). I would then take this set of benchmark specs and hit up the developers and/or advocates of the different 2D engines to write demo apps to these specs. People could then benchmark the tests on a variety of systems. I'd like some feedback on: 1. What kinds of things would people like to see tested? I'd like to keep to a small number of tests to keep things manageable, so I'm going to limit it to features that most people might want (like sprite rendering). 2. What 2D engines should be included? I want to limit this to affordable engines that have, at a minimum, a concept of something like a sprite (so an API that locks a framebuffer, but doesn't provide a method to position and render sprites would not qualify). Here's the engines I have so far: - PTK - HGE - ClanLib - Kyra - BlitzMax - Torque2D - CDX And possibly: - Grim2D (but it doesn't appear to be very active - the website was last updated almost three years ago). - Anti-Grain Geometry (but this appears to be mostly a vector rendering API, and I don't know if it supports the concept of a "sprite").

There's also "Unofficial HGE" which has been "hyper optimized". It's an offshoot of HGE but has some 3D functionality, collision detection and quite a few more "must have" functions.

www.hoek.inkblue.net

This topic is 4694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.