Sign in to follow this  

Line intersection algorithm without using equation of a line, how is it possible?

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry to bother you, but in my search for algorithms to check for intersections, i found this site, and although after testing them they do work, i cant see how this fits in with the formulas i got in my maths book for lines. http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tutorials&d2=geometry2 where does he get the slope?how does he do away with the need for similtaneous equations? i have tried to work this back to an equation of line formula ( y = mx + c or y- y1 = m(x-x1) ) but i cant get it . can anyone explain it to me?

Guest Anonymous Poster
You have:
Quote:

A1x + B1y = C1
A2x + B2y = C2

and then it's right there:

Quote:

To see where this comes from, consider multiplying the top equation by B2, and the bottom equation by B1. This gives you
A1B2x + B1B2y = B2C1
A2B1x + B1B2y = B1C2
Now, subtract the bottom equation from the top equation to get
A1B2x - A2B1x = B2C1 - B1C2
Finally, divide both sides by A1B2 - A2B1, and you get the equation for x. The equation for y can be derived similarly.

Determinants. Linear algebra.

y = mx + c

is the not a good way to represent a line. Perhaps easier to explain to kids but the problem is that it is unable to represent lines parallel to the y axis.

this representation does not have such a limitation:

Ax + By = C

Quote:

i have tried to work this back to an equation of line formula ( y = mx + c or y- y1 = m(x-x1) ) but i cant get it . can anyone explain it to me?

thats not the equation of a line. its the equation for a linear function. not all lines can be described that way, take a vertical one for example, hence its a sucky formula to work with.

when defining lines either the explict origin + direction * t, or the implicit form a*x+b*y=c is used. the latter is used to derive the formula you link to.

the explicit form is most usefull for most practical purposes i know of, since it contains the most information. implict has only position and direction, while explict gives position, direction and length/speed/howeveryouwanttointerpretit. hence the intersection of two implict lines only gives you the intersectionpoint, while the intersection of explicit lines also gives you the intersectionpoint as a parameter on the line, which is often needed.

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.