Sign in to follow this  

mmorpg development books

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

~ok im new here so this may be in the wrong fourm~ Im looking into making a mmorpg and i was wandering if anyone knows any good books to teach me the basics. now dont be like other fourms where everyone discourages you saying you cant make one your not qualifies... ( I DONT CARE you have to start off somewhere) I do have some programming knowledge including C++,Visual Basic,Perl, and Python, and i can learn a new languge fast... but if anyone knows of any good books to teach me the networking part, development, world development,in game features like: object ownership,banking,player-computer interaction,combat (and combat animations) ect... and other that would be great just email me them or PM me oe post them here ASAP that would be GREAT!! Thx Dan

well if you're really serious you will need to learn everything there is to learn about normal game development AND become an expert network and database programmer. mmorpgs aren't considered the most difficult possible game to make for nothing. The best way to start along this path is to begin with a normal RPG single player game. This will nicely teach you a good amount of the information you will need to know. After completing that project you'll want to essentially start all over again and build your RPG game with the network and database in mind. you'll want at least 2 networked machines on which to build your system. One for the client and one for the server (for a dev bed you can happily have your DB and server on the same machine). Technically you could do it all on one machine, but if this is your first networked project you will absolutely NEED to do it on seperate machines to make sure that you have the logic seperated and functioning correctly. Probably the single biggest bottleneck in MMOs is DB load and server network traffic density.

Basically, I guess what i'm saying is that the best place to start is with a non-MMO game b/c otherwise you will be lost in the general game programming logic and miss the boat on what's really important: the network/DB code. I'd suggest getting at least a year's experience in network programming and a year's experience in game programming before tackling the MMO. Feel free to just jump right in, but expect to be frustrated a lot; MMOs basically combine 2 extremely challenging disciplines into a single application.

-me

It just so happens that Charles River Media does produce such a book; it's even listed in the GameDev books section here. As usual for a CRM book it's pretty darned good (admittedly from my limited understanding of networking) - but it's not a 'take-you-by-the-hand' book - it assumes a fair bit of knowledge. OTOH, if you really want to make an MMORPG, this might be a good thing to have a look at to see what's involved.

Jim.

I personally think if you already can program decently, that you should first attempt to design the system and algorithms yourself. Then, if you can't figure it out, get a book. I think you would probably learn more this way.

But, OTOH, you could develop bad design habits that could take considerable time to unlearn, so maybe you should just get a book...

I guess overall it doesn't matter that much, and is just a matter of you're personal preference.

As for your actual question, I recommend the book by Charles River Media, as someone else has already done. It's great, but also as that person already said, there aren't any step-by-step tutorials in it, as it is geared more towards professional, working game developers than hobbyists. But since you already have programming experience, I think you would be fine with it as long as you realize you will still have to develop your own MMORPG engine.

hi,

first, i would like to say DO NOT buy the book that the last 2 posters mentioned. i am currently making a (M)MORPG myself, and for christmas i had someone get me that book just for the hell of it. first, the general layout of the book seems unorganized, scattered, and ugly. second, it doesnt really have very good content in it - a lot of the stuff they say is just common sence or flat out wrong (i remember reading one line in the book that said commercial MMORPGs try to cap out at 1000kbps per player, however this is more realistic for a MUD, not a graphical MMORPG.

im going to agree with others on the experiance thing. i do agree you absolutely should NOT do this as your first game - you will most likely will just be wasting your time.

making a MMORPG is completely possible - most people just dont have the dedication to do it. you just have to code small logical portions, one step at a time. be prepared to spend years on it though, im 10 months into my game with only the basic core engine working.

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.