Sign in to follow this  

What happened to NVIDIA shader debugger?

This topic is 4692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to start debugging some of my shader code. I have seen references to NVIDIA's shader debugger, but I can't find it anywhere. Where do I get it? Is there a better way to debug shaders? Will shader debugger work with DX 9?

Hi there,

I've just started looking into vertex & pixel shaders, well within the last 2 days actually, i wanna do some normal mapping. But nvidia has a thing called fx composer which can debug shaders, it's pretty cool, only played with it for an hr though, not sure how it fits into dx9, should be same/or at leastsimilar shader code, but they have their own called cg. check out http:\\developer.nvidia.com. Also briefly looking at the dx9 sdk they provide some shader debugging, not sure how good it is though.

Hope this might help, not alot of experience with shaders, still working on an optimised structure. I'm gonna need a hole lot when i look into it seriously.

Laters

There is actually a shader debugger supplied with the DirectX SDK these days. It integrates with MSVC.NET so you can debug shaders alongside traditional code.

For more details check out the following sections of the SDK documentation:

DirectX Graphics ->
Programming Guide ->
HLSL Shaders ->
Getting Started Debugging Shaders

DirectX Graphics ->
Tools ->
DirectX Extensions for Visual Studio .NET

Tools like FX Composer and Render Monkey are great for prototyping and development of shaders and encourage you to develop in a way that allows your shaders to be shared across different tools and engines (use of standard semantics etc)

This topic is 4692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.