getting RAID 1 in windows?

Started by
2 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 2 months ago
does anyone know if its possible to setup software RAID 1 in Windows? ive googled and it seems its windows server only.. but is there a way to hack it or something maybe? thanks for any help.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
Software RAID features are now server-only in Windows. I don't know if they used to be present on NT workstation, but they're now only the server versions.

However, hardware (IDE) RAID boards are very cheap and offer advantages over software RAID. Windows workstation OSs will support these too.

- You can boot off hardware RAID even if the first drive has failed (s/w RAID requires the first drive to be working in order to boot on most BIOS)
- You can share it between multiple OSs because it looks just like a normal HD
- Potentially more performant?

(Note that RAID is not an acceptable replacement for backups)

Mark
Agreed. I was considering RAIDing my two drives, but i just went out and bought a 160GB external drive for backing up. Now that my data is off the main HD's, i feel strangely safe (i've suffered HD failure before).
hey guys,

well, the reason i ask is because i just put togeather the server hardware for the dedicated server for my MORPG. i have installed Fedora on it, but im having a nightmare of a time setting this thing up. im getting problems trying to setup the MySQL DB, RAID 1, and i am having a hell of a time getting the server to compile (not because of windows dependencies, but because i just cant get the development environment setup properly). now i want to run in RAID 1 so if a disk ever fails i dont lose the game database all the way to the last backup, and i already purchased the hardware so new hardware is out of the question. i was thinking of wussing out and just putting Windows on the box, but no RAID 1 is stopping me from doing that.. i guess i was just hoping there was maybe a program or some sort of trick to get it to work. this is pretty much my first time using Linux, and i guess im just getting frustrated and inpatient (ive been working for 10 months to get my client/server in working condition and now i have purchased the hardware, i just cant get the bastard server to compile!).
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement