Has anyone tryed this PLanguage yet?

Started by
11 comments, last by qesbit 19 years, 2 months ago
http://isdreamaker.com/ Sounds really good.Can some one thats good at Programming give it a try,and give me some feedback PLEASE! Thanx GameDev Community!!
Advertisement
When looking at [http://isdreamaker.com/dm_compare.htm] I noticed alot of the items listed were subjective. A review on slashdot may shed light on a whole host of strengths and weaknesses. It is very interesting to say the least ;)
I don't think this language is as revolutionary as it makes out, after a quick look at some source; for example:

Start SineWave title "Sine Wave".                  'Start SineWave program titled "Sine Wave" When SineWave is PAINT:                            'When SineWave paints its screen, graph sine  F1 = 1.0. nX = 50. nY = 200.                     'Set drawing position to x = 50, y = 200  Place pen at nX,nY.                              'Put drawing pen at the starting position  For nX = 50 to 700:                              'Graph sine    nY = ((sin(F1 * 3.1415962) * 120.0) + 200.0).  'Calculate y position    Line to nX,nY.                                 'Draw line connecting the points    Add 0.015 to F1.                               'Increment the sine value  Next.                                            'Next pointDone.                                              'Done When statement

From their description:
Quote:
...programming language based on natural language and human intelligence. It uses English vocabularies for programming instructions and English grammars and punctuation for programming syntax.

If this were totally true, they wouldn't of needed to comment on the right hand side of the code, the comments would BE the code.

Edit: It is interesting though, and kudos to the makers.
After looking at the code examples, I must say that I'm not impressed. As COBOL has shown, english-like syntax isn't sufficient to make programming accessible. It's the concepts that are hard to grasp. This looks like yet-another imperative language, with a bit of syntactic sugar for event-based programming sprinkled on top.

Of course, without seeing the documentation, it's hard to judge.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I must admit some lines contains a lot of English grammar, but really it is just its own syntax, and you must learn it (what is and what isn't possible).
In this way its like any other language, just with a syntax that is made from English words - I can't see that is an improvement. I can read/parse 'code' faster than I can read English.
Now if it had some sort of intelligence behind the interpretation of the grammar that would be way coool :P

Draw man, that you can control with the wasd keys. Draw a chicken. The chicken should run about willy-nilly. You can fire with the left mouse button. If you shoot the chicken you win!
WOW just found out a site that uses this engine.(But i think its a a version below the one from the site)

But PPL are making tons of games with it.

Check it out at http://www.byond.com/

Feed back on what you see in the site.(Some games are really nice)
You guys are the experts at this not me so if you look at them you will understand more about the PLanguage than me.

Thanx GDev Community!!
Click the 'edit' button on your post, and you'll see how I turned it into a link -- Fruny.

[Edited by - Fruny on February 10, 2005 6:22:34 PM]
Quote:Original post by stevenmarky
From their description:
Quote:
...programming language based on natural language and human intelligence. It uses English vocabularies for programming instructions and English grammars and punctuation for programming syntax.

Why would I learn a language based on English when my primary language is C?

Ok, back to the topic. I took a look at the sample code, and it looks a lot like VB. Especially with:
'this is a comment
and
If return <> 'means not equals.

Personally, I would rather memorize common C commands and use intellisense for everything else I can't remember (like all those STL functions). Especially with how they have some code like:
When (condition)
and
If (condition)
how would I remember when to use 'When' and when to use 'If'?

Final Comment:
The Language is still too young to give any comment on whether or not it will gain any popularity.
It is a new language not backed by anybody big, and it isn't one of those languages create solely to make programming difficult. It doesn't sound like it has much of a future IMO.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Looks like some kind of attempt to make a pascal clone that is even more verbose than pascal. I like pascal and all, but I don't need another one, thanks.
I've seen the author of the language in another forum I used to frequent. I wasn't exactly impressed then and I'm still not impressed. Writing a new language is a fine way to show how good you are at writing code in another language...language parser, interpreter, handling special cases and jumps, etc. It is only useful to the author (generally-speaking) and will most likely only be as fast as the language it was written in (if not 10-20 times slower than if it was natively written).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement