• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gameteen

Windows game programming in C++

This topic is 4906 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I probably sound like a complete idiot. The idea is, I want to program a game on my computer. (side-scroller with Rpg elements) Now here's the kicker, I want to do it with out DirectX! That's right, I want to do all the graphics processing in pure C++, and control the hardware directly. The main reason for this is preparation for nintendo console programming. Please help, I'm a complete idiot about this. Thanks!

Advertisement
In a modern OS you can't directly access the hardware. Only drivers are allowed to do that.

You can't use any modern hardware feature this way because most hardware companies don't give you the necessary specs to access these features.

You can try a bit of VGA-Output in DOS...

Unless you are writing a kernel driver, Windows won't let you access hardware directly. Have a look at the Windows DDK on Microsoft's web site.

Even then, you can probably forget about 'modern' graphics cards, which, to the extend of my knowledge, do not provide a documented hardware interface (i.e. you use whatever DX and GL drivers the manufacturer gave you). Though I'm convinced they'll still provide a VGA BIOS interface for you to tinker with.

I would recommend you go for GBA programming. Much simpler because you dont have to go through an OS. Plus, its a nintendo system!

this is a great resource.

Quote:
How does SDL/OpenGL access the hardware then?

First of all, I don't think SDL does access the hardware. As for OpenGL, graphics card companies release drivers that have OpenGL implemenations built in.

kman

Quote:
Original post by kman12
Quote:
How does SDL/OpenGL access the hardware then?

SDL - Through Direct Draw on Windows platforms.

Quote:
Q: What is supported?
A: SDL supports Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP.

SDL can be built with Visual C++, Borland C++, Cygwin, MinGW, Dev-C++, and Watcom C++.

SDL takes advantage of DirectX hardware acceleration when it is available, but falls back to the standard Win32 services if DirectX is not installed.

From the SDL site.

- Drew

You want to code games by directly talking to the hardware.
You want to do this cuz it will help you with nintendo console programming.
I dont think using openGL or directX will make you any less competent to program any nintendo console. This is just my opinion.
someone correct me if i'm wrong but im thinking its a stretch to go hardware coding just for that reason.

0.02$

1. dont get exiced about graphics yet

2. go to www.cprogrammming.com and learn c++, you wont be doing graphics for while

3. after you learn c++ (takes 7-10 months), go to cone3d.gamedev.net to use graphics

4. when you can make a good game go to nehe.gamedev.net and learn opengl, that is what game programmers use for games outside of windows (they use directx for windows games).

a reality I came to 3 weeks into c++ was that c++ cant be learned overnight and with the time it takes it is not easy. it took me 3 weeks with sdl till I could make a pong game with no sound or text. 3d graphics take advanced math and years of knowledge, to do a 3d game you will have to know physics, calc and math like that. also if you want to be hired by a company you will need a bs or ms in computer science.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!