Sign in to follow this  

Source Sample Language

This topic is 4693 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. First off, I am sorry if this is a FAQ. BEAR with me. =) I am one year out of college. I've have been working for 1 year devleoping in ASP.net, VB, and SQL server. I have decided that game development is something I should pursue. It has not always been my passion, but I think it would be fun. My plan is to develop a few small game projects, and go on a job search in the summer. I think the source samples are essential for my own confidence and competence in the work, and probably a huge plus to go with my resume. My main question is, what do you think is a more marketable language out of these?: C++ (Win32 API or MFC?) or C#.nET? how about C++.NET? When I say marketable, I'm not refering to high pay. I actually expect to take a pay cut breaking into the industry. However, I am looking for something in widespread use in the gaming industry. Also, on a database backend, what is the most popularly used DB for games that require it? MS SQL server, ORacle, MySQL? I've written a couple small games in C# already, but I have high aptitude for these other languages... and ... for example... if 90% of game developers use C++ and MFC then, maybe I should create source for that... Thank you, anyone who knows about these things! Dylan =)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Most commercial games are in C++. That'll probably change in the future, but it is the state today. Unless you want to do tools (hey, it's a way in), MFC isn't that useful (if you want to do tools, it can be).

As far a DB backends go, look at your games, most don't use one at all (except MMOs).

This topic is 4693 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.