Stereoscopic vision thoughts

Started by
2 comments, last by Couvillion 19 years, 2 months ago
I was thinking about functions of multiple variables. so when we have a one dimensional function ie: f(x) = x^2 we think of it on a cartesian plane, using a line(possible curved) when we have a two dimensional function ie: f(x,y) = x^2 + 3y we think of it like a terrain. Basically, for every x and y coordinate, we have a value, so that we get a terrain kind of thing(a surface you might call it) when we have a three dimensional function ie: f(x,y,z) = x^y + y^x + z^x we can't really represent it in the sense we could a graph. rather, we would have a sort of cloud, and you can't really see all the data at once. One way to approach it would be to consider one of the variables(let's use z) to be time. Than we could represent the graph as the animation of a surface. What I want to use stereoscopic vision for is to experiment with whether we could possibly see all the data of this cloud at once. Basically, I will try rendering the cloud at different depths, different cross sections, etc all really fast, like hundreds of times per second. I came up with this when thinking of subliminal messages. Then I will see how well the person understands the cloud. The reason I am posting is this: for the ways I know of doing stereoscopic vision: a) 3D screen things - maybe if I was rich b) shutter glasses - parents won't lemme blow money on stuff like this c) the red and blue colored glasses. how well will option c work? What are the pro's and con's? Does this all sound like BS? I hope not. I am not a math person. I am in 10th grade, and am only doing single var calc, so i prolly don't know about any advanced stuff from uni, but am willing to look into it.
Advertisement
In my experience, the colored glasses DO work well but ONLY when the two rendered view colors are finely tuned to the specific glasses and monitor and only if the glasses are not cheap (the shading of the glasses varies across manufacturer.. you need a PURE red and a PURE cyan)
That's cool. Do you know of any websites where i can get free 3D glasses? Maybe for real cheap or something?
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
That's cool. Do you know of any websites where i can get free 3D glasses? Maybe for real cheap or something?

Check out these guys:

http://www.chromatek.com/

They produce glasses that give depth based on color, and sample code on how to color your objects for their glasses. It's *not* anaglyph stereo. How far away an object appears to be depends on what color the object is.

The advantage is you don't have to tune your monitor or printer to your two-color glasses, and if you don't have glasses, you're not looking at some blurry red/blue amalgamation.

They used to give free samples if you were hoping to buy a bunch of glasses.
 ~~C--O   -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement