• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arek the Absolute

Enlightenment configuration

This topic is 5054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Every now and again I try to give Enlightenment a shot instead of KDE and such, and while every time I think it's pretty neat in general, I end up being turned away by the fact I just don't want to have to go through all the configuration that seems to be necessary to set it up like I'd want. As a result, I decided this time I might as well just ask for a few tips. Firstly, is there some easy way to import menus from KDE or another window manager so I don't have to use a text editor to create and maintain my menus when I install new software and such? Secondly, although I know I can use apps like Kicker within Enlightenment, I'd prefer to avoid doing that. What software should I look into to make up for some of that functionality, though? Looking at my desktop at the moment I'm particularly wishing I had a clock and a battery monitor somewhere, considering this is a laptop. Any suggestions? For those of you familiar with Enlightenment, how did you set things up?

Advertisement
For E configuration you should look for e16menuedit and e16keyedit. Those are GTK apps that ease atleast partly the configuration of Enlightenment. There is a tool which is supposed to convert Gnome and KDE menus to Enlightenment menus (altough I though E does it itself when installed (there is by default KDE menu under User Menus)), but I haven't tested it myself.

Then there is this: Genmenu and Menushki (converter), and I haven't tested either of those :)

Perhaps you're intrested in epplets as a replacement for kicker.. here's some including fancy looking E-FancyLauncher (haven't tested ;)).

Or perhaps Gkrellm suits you better..

i agree on gkrellm. I can't live without it. If you get gkrellm though, get the Launch plugin so you can start apps with a single button click.

If you use Debian or Mandrake, they both keep your menues in sync with the system automatically. I have never had to manually edit the E config files for menues.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!