3D Fighting Game

Started by
4 comments, last by GameStudioD 19 years, 2 months ago
A friend and I (a team of 2 people) want to build a 3D fighting game for a semester long school project. He will be focus on the art and I will focus on the programming. We will help each other out in both areas. We will use OGRE as the rendering engine, which is a totally new library to me. We are both excellent programmers and we have done (2D) games together in the past. Obviously, the game will not be a completely polished work in one semester and we realize the amount of work involved. We will have to limit certain areas to complete the project. My question is: What challenges will we face? My biggest concern is collision detection between the 2 fighters, controlling animations, and a combo system. Also, learning how to get OGRE to do what we want. Is there a better genre for a first 3D game?
Advertisement
A fighting game is very difficult for a first 3D game for the reasons you mentioned and also the AI. To just get familiar with 3D programming and Ogre, I would suggest making something like 3D breakout or something. This will help you make the transition from 2D to 3D.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Try 3d rendering of a classic 2d game, for example tetris.
Quote:Original post by GameStudioD
What challenges will we face?

Well, you can skip a lot of AI-type problems if you make it multiplayer only. Collision detection is something that everyone struggles with. Handling input for a tekken-like game be easier if you simplify the gameplay -- you don't have to make it very complex to display your talents to a school instructor. There are many things about game development that have nothing to do with the academic study of computer science. A lot of game development involves tweaking itsy-bitsy details for game-balance purposes. . . and that doesn't display your abilities to write the code. It's just data entry stuff. It's fun to be ambitious but it can also cost you a lot of time (and maybe even a grade).

Quote:Original post by GameStudioD
Is there a better genre for a first 3D game?

I would advise you to avoid thinking in terms of "genre." Develop a game with your abilities in mind. Writing code to match a genre automatically forces a narrower-perspective in the exercise of your skills as a developer. Simple 3D demos and a bunch of cute minigames better-facilitate the showcasing of your abilities.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

I would be inclined to agree with it being a moster of a task to take on. Unless your sure you can do it, which you wouldn't be asking for advice if you were. You can probably do any number of less demanding projects and get a more polished product out of the deal.

One option might be to do a series of mini-games. Just take old classics and remake them with some twist and step them into 3D. Pong with powerups. A Vs Tetris with special moves earned by getting your lines.

By doing a lot of little projects as one big project you can always drop one if it becomes to demanding or if you cant finnish it on time. CY'ing your A. You can also work your way up from smaller things to bigger ones as you get to know OGER.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
The project is for a 'Special Projects' course. No homework or class time (except meetings with instructor), 100% dedicated to the project. Our instructor's expectations are realistic. He wants to see an arena and two fighters (human playable) interacting with each other by the end of the semester. No AI, networked gameplay, or fancy stuff, for now. With down to earth goals, we can be successful.

I have put together smaller games before and with more practice, I will be better. However, it is rare to get an opportunity to be dedicated to a 3D game project for a full semester and have the advising of a senior member of the faculty. For now, I am just gauging how long things will take to implement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement