glRasterPos*() / glWindowPos*()

Started by
0 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello all! Sincere apologies but I'm completely new to C++ AND OpenGL... After having completed my sprite engine (read, "finally managed to load and display a bitmap as a texture..."), I needed to conquer new ground. So I decided to return to my implementation of the "robot arm" from the red book. The arm is animated with time as opposed to with keyboard input. This, er, 'program', when run without some method of capping the framerate, shows a noticable drop in framerate when switched to fullscreen, or when the cursor is held over the window icons (min, max, close). I thought it would be nice to display the framerate to see the actual differences. I decided the simplest way to do this would be to use the red books bitmap font and glRasterPos or glWindowPos. If I use glRasterPos the best I can get is the font displayed as per, but the animated arm is only visible partially when the window is resized. If I use glWindowPos I get an undeclared error! Glut is included, and so is glext, which appears to have 'declarations' for glWindowPos*ARB() and glWindowPos*MESA(), although I should say the meaning of those is a bit beyond me... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to progress with either method? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but take a look at either lesson 13 or 14 on NeHe's site. They contain some useful info on fonts on OpenGL.

I think you are getting an error with 'glWindowPos' because that is not a functioon native to OpenGL. I took a look at this list and could not find it at all via google, except the Mesa implementations of it. What you saw are function pointers specific if you have the Mesa header files and such.

As for your statement on it appearing to be slower in full screen, this is quite odd. I would expect it to be faster, but then again it depends on what kind of card you have. As a side note, it is a known fact when you do that hoovering over the tooltips, your FPS will die. Not only that I've seen examples where people's programs have crashed - so do not worry about that really. I hope this helps some.

- Drew

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement