Sign in to follow this  

[.net] making game editors with directX

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to use my existing Managed DirectX code in the editors I plan for my game (map editor + sprite animation sequence editor). What I imagine on my Form is having a work area where i'm putting the level together, and a library area from where I select the available sprites and objects. If these two areas are controls drawn with DirectX, would I need a DirectX device for each? The Device constructor takes a control as argument. If not, how do I assign the device to first draw to one control, then to another? I ask because I think it is possible to do this but I have not seen many examples of drawing to controls / drawing in windowed mode, just full screen. If you have any tips for working with DirectX for this kind of application then I would like to hear them!

I highly suggest not doing that. Rather you can make a custom control that has an array of picture boxes. When one is clicked the "current file" is changed. This may require work but could be worth it compared to creating another device.

What I did for my map editor was I created just a simple list box that lists the filenames and shows the current tile within a picture box. Here is what I did...

Click here for screenshot!

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.