Sign in to follow this  

A couple of shadowing questions...

This topic is 4691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have a couple of shadowing questions that although are different I will stick in one topic so as not to clog up this forum with anymore of my questions :) (you know you love them) Firstly, in looking around at shadow volume optimisations I came across shadow volume caching. Engines such as this one mention they use it but googling it brings back little info on what it actually is. Does anyone know what it is, how to do it and it's purpose? Secondly, I favour shadow volumes over maps as I have found little good solutions to solving the issue of shadow maps limited shadow frustum so not working for omnidirectional lighting. Stefan Brabec presents a paper on shadow mapping techniques for hemispherical and omnidirectional lights (focussing on Dual Paraboloid shadow mapping). Has anyone else come across other papers/articles covering such techniques or has successfully implemented shadow mapping for omnidirectional light sources? Thanks :) [Edited by - gazsux on February 11, 2005 9:21:07 AM]

Quote:
Original post by gazsux
Has anyone else come across other papers/articles covering such techniques or has successfully implemented shadow mapping for omnidirectional light sources?

Shadow cubemaps are the standard way to do point light shadows on modern 3D hardware. They're much easier to handle than dual paraboloid maps, and don't exhibit their visual artifacts either.

Quote:
Original post by gazsux
Firstly, in looking around at shadow volume optimisations I came across shadow volume caching. Engines such as this one mention they use it but googling it brings back little info on what it actually is. Does anyone know what it is, how to do it and it's purpose?

Shadow volume caching is simply saving the most recent silhouette extrusion that you've built for an object so that you don't have to rebuild it on a later frame if the light and object haven't moved.

Quote:
Shadow volume caching is simply saving the most recent silhouette extrusion that you've built for an object so that you don't have to rebuild it on a later frame if the light and object haven't moved.

I currently only re-calculate the visiblity info for determining the silhouette to extrude every 4 frames and only if the object or light has moved. Volume caching just sounds like an extension of this in storing the actual vertex data once extruded. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.

Also cheers to Yann. I've looked into cube mapping but performance wise it doesn't seem adequate for my needs.

Thanks!

This topic is 4691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.