blender?

Started by
6 comments, last by l4wnm0werm4n 23 years, 3 months ago
does anyone use blender? www.blender.nl ___________________________ he who plays with root, kills tree
___________________________he who plays with root, kills tree
Advertisement
I use POVRay.
http://www.povray.org

But it''s not for the light-hearted: There aren''t very many good modelling programs for it, but people have made some awesome looking pictures and animations with it; the file format is human-readable and very powerful. I''ll take a look at blender, but its website looks somewhat confusing.

"Whoever performs only his duty is not doing his duty." --Bahya ibn Pakuda
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
I agree about the Blender website. It''s kind of hard to see if some new news is up.

Right now I''m at the stage where I''m still learning what the different buttons do. There''s a user page that has a list of what each button means, but I''ve seem to have lost the address. It exists though

bTW,
Take a look at the gallery on the left side of the main Blender website page. You can see some pretty cool stuff there.

joeG

joeG
I''ve hesitated on mentioning this because it may sound
like a plug (because it is).

Preferances for modellers is a very personal issue
(espessially with user friendliness).
However I would like to take a moment to introduce
a very alpha stage game modeller called `Vertex''.

You can see it at http://wolfpack.twu.net/backstage/

Vertex is a GPL game modeller written on Linux for Linux.
It is intended soly for creating efficient (specifically polygon based) models for games.

It will have a fully documented io library for its file
format (text based) and plugin support to export to
other formats.

It is a program myself and a few of my friends
have been working on for the past few weeks. We have
over 10 years of experiance in making models for games
and felt what would be the best contribution in user
friendliness that we can design. Now you might like it
or you mike hate it *G* but I felt it was worth mentioning
an alternative for Linux game programmers and model
artists.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
I use Blender, and I think it''s pretty cool, once you get used to the UI. I used to use POV-Ray too (for Win32), and as long as you run Winblows, there is a good modeller called Moray (I''m pretty sure it''s only for Win32).

BTW, the tutorials for Blender are great (and there''s even more on the links section of their site).

Excuse me whilst I conquer Earth...

Commander M
(a.k.a. Crazy Yank)
http://commanderm.8m.com
CmndrM@gdnmail.net
The Blender interface is so confusing; they should really make an effort to de-obfusicate it. It looks nice, but I''m still trying to figure out basic object manipulation. The tutorial wasn''t much help, either, and neither was the speed of my computer. It doesn''t work with Win2000, so I can''t test it on the faster school computers. I think I''ll stick with POV. Its macro-like language is perfect for a programmer like me.

"Whoever performs only his duty is not doing his duty." --Bahya ibn Pakuda
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
I can agree that the blender interface is kinda confusing at first, but once you get used to it, it''s actually quite fast and easy to use.
I sure wouldn''t want them to "de-obfuscate" it, since it works great for me as it is...

/mikael_j
I use blender, (on windoze, I''m still trying to get "parental permission" to convert this stupid computer to Linux)
I agree that the UI is hard to get used to at the very beginning, but once you get used to it, it''s very easy and efficient to use, take my word for it =o)

Blender is very powerful and can make very professional looking models and renders (it''s being used to render Lord of the Rings, according to LinuxArtist.org)

I''d say my only qualm with blender is that it doesn''t support enough file formats, and therefore makes it hard to make in-game models with; I''d say that blender was, aside from it''s initially steep learning curve, perfect if it could export to more formats such as .3ds

(o=   Cliff_Hawkens   =o)
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement