.dds exporter

Started by
7 comments, last by hoogie 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, I am currently workin on a 2D platformer using DirectX9, previously when posting on this forum everyone recommended to use .dds files for the project. I was just wandering what exporters everyone used? One of my artists is having trouble exporting to .dds from Photoshop CS. Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Check out the latested SDK documentation - I'm pretty damn sure there is (or was) a Photoshop exporter for .DDS

Failing that, my version of the SDK installs a shell-extension so that you can right-click on files in windows explorer and "convert to file format". Very useful.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Nvidia also has a plug-in for Photoshop to export .dds files. The plugin also performs a number of other usefull things; generating mipmaps, normal maps, etc..

neneboricua
I believe my artist downloaded the NVidia one but was having trouble with it. He says that it seams to only allow him to save file if they are square like 10x10 or 20x20 etc, is this a known issue? I was hoping to get files in a 800x600 format as the images are going to be the background images for a platformer game.

Thanks for any help or advise
I've not used the Nvidia tool, so can't really comment on it.

However, I just checked with the "Convert to file format..." extension that the DX-SDK installed for me, and it'll take any format of any dimensions and spit out a corresponding .DDS file.

Might well be what you need..?

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Cool will do it like that then.
One more question, in a previous post on this subject a lot of people were saying how bad it was to use .jpg files is there a reason for this?
If so what would be the best file format to have my artist submit the graphics in before I convert them? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks again
The problem with .jpg format it is that it is a lossy-compression scheme. These files take up less disk space but the reason for that is that the image data is compressed in a way that the image loses some of its visual quality.

neneboricua
Quote:Original post by neneboricua19
The problem with .jpg format it is that it is a lossy-compression scheme. These files take up less disk space but the reason for that is that the image data is compressed in a way that the image loses some of its visual quality.

For the record, DXTn/S3TC is lossy, too. You can actually use very low compression settings with JPG and get files that are magnitudes smaller (on disk, that is) than the original while maintaining an equal visual quality. One problem I see is that with JPGs you have no immediate impression of the amount of actual video memory you texture/image surface will use. A DDS file will use just about as much memory as it consumes on the disk (compressed or not).
So am I right in thinking it doesnt matter what format my artist submit the art assets in as long as I convert them to .dds?

Thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement