Should MSDN chatter example work with our basic settings?

Started by
6 comments, last by Juha 19 years, 2 months ago
Just asking, that should MSDN socket example: ChatSrvr.exe Chatter.exe work (easily) with my setting (+my friend settings,,, the same): -New computers -Windows XP -ZoneAlarm free Firewall (-I have router, but I can take it off) It has not worked so far though the internet: cannot connect. But maybe the reason is that I am using router. If I take the router off, should it work with these settings? My friend used my IP, which was taken by my computer using ipconfig (router on). Does it also depend on our internet providers and their settings? I would just like it to work once ... so that I know it is basically working. If i get this working, I am happy,,, so you can make my day happy ...:) thanks Juha
Advertisement
BTW they work if I put all clients and servers *on my own* computer.
First of all, turn off your firewall, or configure it to let incoming connections through on the chatter port.

Next, configure your router to forward the chatter port(s) to your PC. This differs per router brand. After that, you should pretty much be able to connect.

Toolmaker

>First of all, turn off your firewall, or

>configure it to let incoming connections through on the chatter port.

How/where do you do this port configuration with ZoneAlarm? I do not find it when I open its FireWall properties... Is it really there?

>Next, configure your router to forward the chatter port(s) to your PC. This differs per router brand. After that, you should pretty much be able to connect.

My router is wireless Linksys 802.11b.

But anyway, now I at least know what to do next, so thanks. I will try ...

I am quite newbie with networking so it might take some time ...

The point is, that I would quickly like to do the "Hello World" with this... then I can concentrate on programming ...
>First of all, turn off your firewall, or

>configure it to let incoming connections through on the chatter port.

How/where do you do this port configuration with ZoneAlarm? I do not find it when I open its FireWall properties... Is it really there?

>Next, configure your router to forward the chatter port(s) to your PC. This differs per router brand. After that, you should pretty much be able to connect.

My router is wireless Linksys 802.11b.

But anyway, now I at least know what to do next, so thanks. I will try ...

I am quite newbie with networking so it might take some time ...

The point is, that I would quickly like to do the "Hello World" with this... then I can concentrate on programming ...
ok, I will not use router, so the only problem is then the firewall ... is I just find where can I define those ports in it ...
I myself use a router and I know how to configure it, so there is no point in running a fireware too. I have no experience with ZoneAlarm, but I suppose you should open the main window and poke a bit around.

If you have a hard time figuring out how it works, take a look at this section I found on the zone labs website: ZoneAlarm service & support. Check out the PDF files for your version.

Toolmaker

"I myself use a router and I know how to configure it, so there is no point in running a fireware too. I have no experience with ZoneAlarm, but I suppose you should open the main window and poke a bit around. "

I checked the document, but it seems that there is no setting with free version. But with Windows own firewall I can definitely do it.

Thanks. So I will try without router and with XP firewall ..lets see ...

By the way,,, anyone knows, is Win XP 's firewall as good as ZoneAlarm's? Any difference?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement