Win32 API Reference

Started by
14 comments, last by reltham 19 years, 2 months ago
I did a Google search but I cant seem to find a reference for the Win32 API. since only my Mac has the internet, it needs to be in PDF format. I’m not looking for a tutorial, just a reference of functions and what they do (Sort of like the visual basic object browser). I use Dev-C++ on windows 98 and I don’t have any documentation. Please help, thanks.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
Advertisement
As far as I am aware, there is no such document. If you use internet explorer on your mac, I think you can access MSDN though, and it has all the docs you should need.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Yeah, Im looking for something besides MSDN, I can never seem to find what I'm looking for on it...
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
If your looking for a PDF reference your out of luck. MSDN comes in two forms chm or web based help.

What's wrong with the MSDN web help??

I use it on the PC and I use the Cocoa\Carbon webhelp on th Mac and man pages on linux and once you've worked on the last two platforms you'll quickly learn that neither OS holds a candle to windows in terms of dev support.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Same for me actually. I guess there is no such thing like an updated win32 api help file. However there is a compiled HTML file coming the the MSDN which is newer than the original help file and it looks nicer.
There must be a way to combine .chm files so you could make your own library, which could contain C/C++ reference and the win32api for example. Never tried it though ..
The Platform SDK contains the documentation for the Win32 API, as well as just about everything else to do with Windows Development.
Quote:Original post by chaosgame
Yeah, Im looking for something besides MSDN, I can never seem to find what I'm looking for on it...

Yea the MSDN search sucks.I feel that the MSDN is inadequate to my needs in pertaining with the 'search'. Instead you can use Google to search MSDN better than MSDN can (Personal opinion). What I do is this
"MSDN function/symbol"
And that gets me most of what I am looking for 95% of the time. Example,
"MSDN Sleep"
I would suggest try that approach if you are unable to find another source.

The only full reference I know of are the books dedicated to the topic. I have this huge Win32 API book for NT. It is full of documentations and examples. Even though it says NT, it lists the functions and what OS they are compatible with. The majority of everything, if not all, works on 95/NT. It clearly labels the functions and so far I have yet to find a non-95 compatible from skimming through. You may need to invest in something such as this as well.

- Drew

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on February 12, 2005 2:04:35 AM]
MSDN online reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sdkintro/sdkintro/devdoc_platform_software_development_kit_start_page.asp

That is the start page. Getting everything you need. Only problem where here is everything. It is big.

Has someone seen good WIN32 SDK tutorial site, which goes deeper. such as multiple windows sametime and bigger component handling.

Dev-c++ have also own WIN32 SDK reference, but it is older. Basic are OK. Just check upgrades, there it is.

I was just thinking that it might be better to compile a small package of API help file or whatever, so you don´t get lost in unrelated help files. Everytime I search something on the MSDN the first couple of results usally are Windows CE-related... next bad thing about the platform SDK is that you can´t view the files with hh.exe anymore. Does anybody know how to compile a set of CHM files, so you can use them "together" ?
If you've got vs.net you can search the msnd index by topic, ie platform skd, windows CE, etc.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement