FragmentLinker?

Started by
0 comments, last by circlesoft 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, My generic game engine is coming along quite nicely now - I'm learning a lot as I make it! I've hit another, not neccesarily problem, but iffy subject. The FragmentLinker. I want to use it because I want to have the user be able to apply post effects to the camera. I thought the best way to do it would be to have a stack of post effects, and then use a fragment linker to link them on the fly. That doesn't look like toooo much of an issue after reviewing the source but... it seems that applied the fragment linker's created shader is applied by setting the VertexShader instance on the Device. Now, I don't have too much of a problem with this - it's just that I normally use the Effects class, and would rather use this. Is there anyway to use an Effect instance without compromising speed? Thanks, - aCiD2
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Advertisement
The Effects framework had been notorious for being slower than the standard IDirect3DDevice::Set*Shader*() calls in previous versions of the DXSDK. However, I think MS has the bugs worked out now, and it's actually fairly efficient (and it's still easy to use [smile]). To answer your question, I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you notice that it really starts degrading your performance.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement