Sign in to follow this  

Project Phoenix Update: (Final on GD.Net)

This topic is 4686 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay. Since I have been asked not to update so frequently and have been directed to subscribe to a premium service just to be able to let people know how my team's project is shaping up, I will no longer bother posting updates here. I'm in the process of setting up a mailing list and will tell you how to join it once I get it set up, for those who are interested in project Phoenix. But just so this post is worth something, take a look at this. It's a mock-up example of what "The Legend of Zelda" for the NES might have looked like if it were designed using the Phoenix Virtual Console. This image was constructed in Paint Shop Pro using elements developed with the Phoenix Tile Editor. The environment editor is in the concept phase, and we hope to begin building it soon. I'll reply to this post once I have the details on where to go to join our mailing list. I thank GD.N for its hospitality. -OR

I didn't see where you were asked not to post so frequently. Evolutional made a sensible recommendation. This is the third post in four days about your project and I only see a twelve button application to show for it. That's not to trivialize your accomplishments, but you have to ask yourself whether you're really introducing new information into the public domain.

Updates are appreciated but only if there's a reason for it. You really should bump your post of a day or so before if it's not really a huge change.

You're project looks interesting, but as it's only a tile editor it's hard to give feedback.

As for the site, I'd recommend against white font against the specific textured background. It's a bit hard to read comfortably.

Good luck with your project.

After receiving a few complaints I privately requested that Oscar updates only when a certain milestone or large accomplishment had been made in his project. It certainly wasn't my intention to make him stop posting all together.

To echo Brandon, I do feel that posting each day will frustrate people as the information won't mean much to anyone outside of the project, instead I think having a single post and bumping it with new info would have been more appropriate, or even better the Developer Journals in the GDnet+ package were designed exactly for this sort of thing and isn't as intrusive.

I wish Oscar and his team the best with this project and do hope that he posts more information when there's a demo or playable version of this project =)

Hello, everyone...

As promised, I am writing back to tell you about how to join the Project Phoenix public mailing list. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phoenixpublic and then just join.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to say "I will no longer bother posting updates here." I meant to type "I will no longer bother posting FREQUENT updates here."

That makes the statement take on a whole new meaning, and is a good reason why one should never write posts while being bone-tired. I had a very long day that day, and was about ready to fall asleep at my computer just making that post. If I came off as being rude, I apologize. Anyway, the mailing list is set up so I can relay the little details to those who are interested in such things without cluttering this board up.

I will also be willing to listen to ideas and suggestions from members which will be CONSIDERED for inclusion in the Phoenix Engine's capabilities. However, I want to make it clear that we are not designing the engine to mimick present-day gaming technology, but rather, provide a nostalgic nod back to the old NES/SNES days. So any suggestions should be limited to that scope.

This is not to say that our engine's feature list won't grow beyond that, eventually. But we're not going to jump from 2D tile-based to a 3D quake3 engine clone. Evolution of the Phoenix engine will proceed logically, with advances being built onto the existing codebase, so it will always be backwards-compatible with even our earliest titles.

I will still post here, but as requested, only when there is something significant to talk about. Use of the Developer Journals will be an option for me when the project is far enough along that we actually begin developing titles for it. But for right now, I'll stick to the $0 budget options.

We've got a long road ahead, and we hope that some of you will journey with us to our destination.

Sincerely,
-OR

Sign in to follow this