Sign in to follow this  

How to install Visual C++ 6.0 on 3gb ram?

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The installer vomits, claiming "not enough memory". Yeah, on a 3gb system. Anyone know of a workaround short of physically removing memory from the system?

Quote:
Original post by bani
The installer vomits, claiming "not enough memory". Yeah, on a 3gb system.

Anyone know of a workaround short of physically removing memory from the system?

Try starting the installation again. When I install VS, I have to update the Java VM. Then after that, it tries to install but says not enough memory. I just simply re-leunch the setup and it works then. Is it constantly failing or just has happened after the JVM update? It seems like they hard coded in some constant to compare memory to, and your memory amount is over wrapping the value. Also, 3GB ram? What kind of compuer do you have! I'm jealous [lol] Also what size is your page file?

- Drew

i have 4 GB in my new machine -- Dell XPS System -- i dunno if i am "using" all 4 GB though.. how can you with just 32 bits??

i use Maya, C++/openGL/ 3DS, etc etc so i need to memory.. as much as i can get. also im some sort of multitasker, usually have 4 or 5 IE windows up, burning DVD's/CD's, printing stuff out.. it all adds up :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
you might want to try the /MAXMEM switch in boot.ini

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp

Quote:
Original post by OpenGL_Guru
i have 4 GB in my new machine -- Dell XPS System -- i dunno if i am "using" all 4 GB though.. how can you with just 32 bits??

2^32 = 4,294,967,296

I bet that's darn close to how many bytes of ram you have ;)

--Vic--

Quote:
Original post by Roof Top Pew Wee
Quote:
Original post by OpenGL_Guru

2^32 = 4,294,967,296

I bet that's darn close to how many bytes of ram you have ;)

Just side note: You can have more RAM than that, though not with Windows XP. I had 2MB of RAM on my 286 machine and it worked out well (remember the segment stuff). The server editions of NT as well as some *nix kernels handle up 32GB RAM even on 32 bit CPUs [smile].

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.