Sign in to follow this  

SuSE

This topic is 4683 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I finally found a Linux for me. I just installed SuSE Pro 9.1! I have it duel boot with XP Pro. I didn't think to highly of Slackware. But, after I bought the SuSE Linux 9 Bible and read on SuSE history (very interesting I might add) I like SuSE even more now. I'm having problems connecting to my DSL. The DSL isn't in my name its in my fathers, but I use the service through a hub. Also, my sound isn't working. I've got all these things to work before I just forgot how. But now that I have the bible to SuSE I can probably find out by reading a little further. I installed almost all the packages. I couldn't wait until YaST was done so I could fool around with KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out which one I like most, but I'm betting it would be Gnome because Gnome seems more Professional to me then KDE. and KDE seems more fun and games. But both look nice and I love em' both. I got Python packages installed to and also Qt 3. I remember seeing a book on Qt in Hastings. Is Qt any good? As you can see, I've got lots to look forward too. I can't wait to start making games and stuff for Linux. Now that I dual boot Microsoft and Linux installations, I can attempt to make platform independent code and be able to test it. One cool thing is that SuSE sees the Windows installation and I can actually navigate that partition, but I can delete anything. That sucks because I could eliminate some of those pesky index files and other stuff MS puts on Windows that record you use of the OS. All in due time, all in due time. I'm glad I finally have a version of SuSE I can call my own. I was going to buy it in it's boxed form, but the Hastings where I live stopped caring it. The only Linux I need to get now is Turbo Linux and Lycoris. Then I will have all the Linuxs I want.

For some reason I still can't get SuSE to go on the internet! I'm running on DSL, but the connection isn't mine its my fathers. But I can use the connection with WindowSXP so I don't see what the probelm is with Linux. If Windows can do it so can Linux right? Do I have to use my fathers user name and password to use the DSL? I don't see why I have to do that because I don't have to do that with Windows, it just uses it. There has to be a way for SuSE to just use the DSL connection that I have. Can one of you help me please?!

external dsl modem or internal?

If external,

ethernet connection or USB? for ethernet, you've got an ethernet card in your system, use it normally.

for usb or internal, you'll probably have to configure something called PPPoE. I've never done this, sorry.

Quote:
Original post by sakky
I installed almost all the packages. I couldn't wait until YaST was done so I could fool around with KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out which one I like most, but I'm betting it would be Gnome because Gnome seems more Professional to me then KDE. and KDE seems more fun and games. But both look nice and I love em' both.

It's entirely a matter of taste. I prefer Gnome, myself.
Quote:

I got Python packages installed to and also Qt 3. I remember seeing a book on Qt in Hastings. Is Qt any good? As you can see, I've got lots to look forward too. I can't wait to start making games and stuff for Linux. Now that I dual boot Microsoft and Linux installations, I can attempt to make platform independent code and be able to test it.

QT is the GUI library used by KDE—the Gnome equivalent is GTK+.
Quote:

One cool thing is that SuSE sees the Windows installation and I can actually navigate that partition, but I can delete anything. That sucks because I could eliminate some of those pesky index files and other stuff MS puts on Windows that record you use of the OS. All in due time, all in due time.

Any Linux system with FAT/NTFS support compiled into the kernel can do this. I presume the "Windows installation" you refer to is an NTFS partition, as FAT32 write support works just fine—the present Linux NTFS drivers have excellent read support, but write support is dodgy and disabled by default.

If you are sharing your internet connection using MS Internet connection sharing, see what's the ip your parent's computer is using for the internal lan and set your linux network to that ip. It used to be 10.0.0.1-255 (netmask 255.255.255.0) if I remember right.

I think MS Internet connection sharing works like a DHCP server. I don't know how to doit in suse, look around some configuration option to specify you connect to internet throug a DHCP server.

My DSL modem is an external Actionttec modem. The DSL is through Qwest with MSN as provider. I've been using PPP over Ethernet and I'm not getting anything. I've changes the dynamic IP to static and typed my IP in and I still got nothing. So maybe something is wrong? Hmm... I'l log of windows and give SuSE another try and report back the results. See ya in a minute....

Well, I don't know what the heck happened but its working now because I'm in here. I changes the DSL to PPPoE and I had to enter my fathers username and password to get the connection running. Why did I have to do this? I never had to with Windows. Maybe it's some sort of settings some where that I need to turn of to get SuSE to just use the connection. My computer is hooked up into a hub alon with three others. The Widnows installation works fine but the Linux installation has a few problems. I remember dealing with this before.

I wish I didn't have to go through so much problems just to set things up. Well now I need to do the updates and get the NVIDIA driver installed. I'm tired of looking at a small screen with crapy depth because Linuz doesn't think my hardware can handle it...

okay, I can't get Online Update to work. It searches for mirror servers and fails. I couldn't get my NVIDIA driver to install either. SaX2 kicked out on startup. I don't know what the problem is but I REALLY REALLY hope on of you may have answers for me. If you need any more information about my system just ask. Please help me with this.

Quote:
Original post by sakky
Well, I don't know what the heck happened but its working now because I'm in here. I changes the DSL to PPPoE and I had to enter my fathers username and password to get the connection running. Why did I have to do this? I never had to with Windows.
You probably did, and it already has it saved someplace on the computer.

Yeah, but how do I get the Online Update (YaST) to work? When I run it, it stalls for a long time and then pops up with an error message box saying it can't find the mirror servers.

You can change which server YOU looks for. There should be a dropdown menu to select one.

You can probably find more detailed information at http://slforums.typo3-factory.net/index.php?

Then what? What am I suppose to add for additional sources? Why doesn't the book say anything about this? Why would they add an online update system with the OS when it isn't even online because its looking on my harddrive? This doesn't make any sence why would you put you users through so much hell just to get there system updated. I can bearly surf the web too. I can come to gamedev and a few other sites. I can't even go to google or suse's main site any more. Man this is pissing me off! Why won't this damn thing work like its suppose to. I shouldn't be having so many problems with something that is so simple. I mean come on, I can do this in a few easy steps with Windows why the hell is it so hard for Linux to update it's self? I'm having nothing but problems trying to use my sound card, KDE keeps crashing and I can berarly use the internet. This is why I stay on the Windows installation most of the time because I know that operating system works and I don't have tons of probelms with it. Add by the way, I've formated my harddrive several times and reinstalled windows and it still uses the internet connection with out having to add a user name and password. I never had a probelm with it until I tried to get Linux to work. Now it seams that I can bearly use my computer. I would like to use Linux, but I'm getting tired of all the hastle just to use simple featurs of it. If this is the problems I run into then I shall just hrough away that damn book and forget Linux ever existed. ARGH!

YOU -- Yast Online Update -- should work out of the box. You don't need to do anything to update your system but go to YaST. Software -> Online Update, it should pop up a list of places to get security patches for your software.

If you want to install new software you must tell it where to look. What version of SUSe are you running?

You will experience problems using Linux.

Well, sorry guys I don't mean to act all snotty and pissy. I'm just a litte frusterated with how this thing is going.

I'm using SuSE 9.1 Pro. YOU tells me that it can not find the list or mirror servers to update the system. I need to have YaST install my NVIDIA driver becaue I tried it and it SaX2 kicked out an error when it tried to startup. So I must be doing something wrong, so I need to get YaST to do it for me.

By the way, I'm a geek too. I'm just not that good at Linux, I've work with MS OSs all my life. Well, except for the Trash-80.

See, I don't want to give up on Linux! I know its been really frustrating for me at first but I will eventually learn it. I know I'm having problems with using the internet and getting the system updated, but all that will come in time I hope. I've noticed that all though I can't really browse the internet I can browse GameDev. I haven't tried other sites, but what I've notices is that Linux really starts cooking once it's going. It took me 5 hours to get most of the settings set right. Yes, 5 hours. It took me so long because I had lots of trouble deciding how I wanted KDE to look. Between all the effects and stuff, how is a guy suppose to figure out what he wants in less ime then that.

Any ways, I just need to get the system updated and get the NVIDIA driver installed. After this I need to work out the network problem. Lucky for me I remember most of this stuff once I work with it. I used wallpaper I found off the net that I used on WindowsXP including WindowsXP's wallpaper for KDE. So Linux doesn't look so alien to me anymore, but it has my style now too!

I've been trying to search SuSE's web site but I've had several problems connecting. Once I'm connected I don't know where to go so it makes it even more harder for me to find the mirror servers to update my Linux.

On a side note, once I get Linux running like a champ (or even now) I was wanting to take a screenshot of it. Can I use my computer in a link to the image? For example, I wanted to show you guys what my desktop looks like. I take a snap shot of it and save it somewhere it can be accessed via my Linux server or public_html. Then I include my computers IP in the destination with the URL to the image. Would this work? Just as long as Linux was running and my computer is hooked up to the LAN, correct?

Of course you can run a webserver to serve images—it will work while your computer is online if you are running a webserver (like Apache), if your IP stays the same, and if you are not behind a router or firewall that blocks (or simply fails to forward) port 80.

If you want to make a habit of serving web content from your computer, you may want to look into a dynamic domain name service like that offered by DynDNS.org, and a client (I use ddclient).

You know something, you just may have gave the answer to my problem with the internet! I've been getting lots of error from Konqueror that it can't connect to Google, SuSE and lots more. The error message is:

An error occurred while loading http://www.google.com:

Timeout on server
Connection was to www.google.com at port 80

I'm going through Qwest DSL that (from what I can remember) uses a firewall and router. I remember seeing the router when I refresh my connection with WindowsXP. I think the DSL has a firewall, but I'm not sure. I know that SP2 does and so does SuSE. I think I disabled the firwall on SuSE thou, but I'm not sure.

If this is the problem then this means I hae to use an alternative port to browse the internet, that is all-correct?

No, no. You can definitely connect to port 80 on remote hosts. If, however, you want to serve up images, then remote clients must be able to connect to port 80 on your computer—very different. Turn your firewall back on and keep troubleshooting. [grin]

.....why can't I go to Google then? I can't even use YOU. It just doesn't work! I can't connect and find any mirror servers. YOU won't connect so I can't update my computer. I'll have to update it by hand I guess. What a waste of time YOU is! Is there any way I can delete the waste of space? I mean come on, I've tried everything I can think of for the past 6 hours and I still have nothing. I'm thinking that that program is a complete waste of time and it shouldn't have been added with the SuSE because it's problematic and doesn't work and it makes SuSE look bad because of it. The auto update doesn't work, thats lame! I have to uninstall all my packages by hand and download and install the updates ones. That isn't fun! Maybe it's a joke and they put that program there so people would try and use it and get no where with it! So they can sit back and laugh saying--"Look! He actually think he's getting somewhere". That may sound stupid, but I've been looking on Google(IE) and found many other poeple having the same problem and have found to solution. One guy even used a sniffer and said the YOU didn't even make an attempt to connect. So what is that thing suppose to be besides a joke?

SuSe is one of my operating systems, and YOU works great for me. It really sounds as if your internet connection is the problem. Here is a tip, to test your internet connection you can use the program "ping" (i.e. "ping google.com"). I had problems with my internet connection too at first, I just copied all the information from the working windows version, messed around a whole lot, and then somehow it worked.

I really don't get how you can go to some sites and not others... just doesn't make sense, but then again I am far from a network expert, in fact it confuses me to no end and makes me run away in fear.

Yeah I here ya. But for real now, ping worked on Google. At first it didn't but now it does. Also, ...hold on I'm gonna trace with windows. Hmm... I got requested time out each time. Ping worked fine thou.

I wonder why I can't get YOU to work right. Maybe I should remove all hardware configurations and start over.

Tell ya what, I'm not running from Linux! Not now not ever! I WILL figure this out. Even thou I like Windows a lot, I'm getting tired of only using one OS all the time. And how am I going to know how my software I create works good on both Windows and Linux? Besides I want to go pure linux some day. Once I figure out how to make it a complete power horse with multi media flyin out it's ars! I love to listen to music or radio on my computer when I'm playing around with it. I'll hvae some crapy little computer in the cornder with Windows on it just so I can use the application that I have that need Windows. I sure hope all my favorite games come out on Linux. I can trust I won't be seeing a Linux version of Halo...LOL!!!

I still can't figure it out! I'm thinking about starting over from scratch and only installing what I need. I only want to use KDE so I won't install any GTK+. I'll also go with out all the games and stuff. I only need a good compiler(GCC) and a decent IDE. Or, maybe I'll just build myself one. I could use DevC++ for Linux or the Qt IDE. Pretty much, I only want the basic stuff that I need to run my computer plus the developer things that I need to Linux-that's it!

I think I'll go do tht right now. So if I can, I'll post an update with Konquer.

Sign in to follow this