Sign in to follow this  

Need guidance...once more

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some days ago i asked for help because i knew C++ but i didn't knew where to go next. The truth is i've only done some simple console text games to get confident with C++ but would like to make something more complex. The articles in the beginners sections say: "Learn C++ and then go and make tetris", but i think they may be skipping a step. I've never been able to draw graphics into a program using c++ since i've only made console aplications. I started to check some windows programming books but i got a bit scared feeling they were a bit too complex yet. Is it neccesary to use windows programming, libraries like allegro or an API like directx to make, say, a platform game?. Which is the best next to step after text only games? In that case, which of these (or others) should i start learning to use? Sorry, but im a little lost here.

c++ is not easy nor is it a thing learned fast, you have to crawl before you run. I have been doing c++ for almost 11 months and am making my 3rd graphical game. I did c++ for 8 months before moving on, I desprately wanted to do graphical game but I had to wait. keep learning, you will get there if you really want to. after you learn c++, you will be ready for SDL, a graphics library, go to cone3d.gamedev.net for tuts on that. it will make no sense until you know c++ well.

I'll be honest with you. I have never made Tetris before and probabally never will. It was just too hard for me when I started out. Instead I did pong and breakout - which were more fun and easy to achieve. I'd say you should do the same. In order to get that graphics done, you will need to use a graphics api such as SDL or Allegro. I think those are the two best canidates for you to make a 2D platfore game - that's the best use of them anyways [wink].

You can see a current paltform game in the works here. You can look at the source and get an idea of how complex it really is. Now I am into game programming, but not making games yet, so I do not have any game specific tips to offer. I'd say choose between SDL or Allegro and begin. If you want good Allegro tutorials, here ya go. If you want good SDL tutorials here they are as well. There was a recent thread about choosing between the two and I just posted on it, but I cannot find it! I will update this response when I do. Hope this helps some. Do you kind of see what direction you need to go in now or do you need more more more [smile].

- Drew

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.