Unlimited Arguments (...)

Started by
4 comments, last by IOFILE 23 years, 5 months ago
Ok, I''ve never gotten around to learning it, simply because I''ve had no need to. But now, I''ve found a very good place in which I could use the unlimited arguments thingy, or whatever it''s called. I know the function would be declared as so: int Unlimited(int hi, ...) and now the programmer can enter in lots of ints. However, how do I find out how many params were sent through and how do I use each of them. Any help would be appreciated, as usual
- IOFILE
Advertisement
Look at the standard functions/types, va_arg, va_list and va_end.
-Tim Elliot (Demitri)
usually, its used for string formatting
this is how you do it to have a formatted string like the printf()

#include <stdio.h> //needed for variable arguments//void *Something(const char *String, ...){    char Buffer[256]; //this holds the final string    va_list ArgList; //this is the argument list    va_start(ArgList, String); //begins processing the arguments    vsprintf(Buffer, String, ArgList); //print the string into Buffer    va_end(ArgList); //finished processing the arguments}    

its pretty simple actually

if you want it for something other than printing a formatted string into a buffer, then i cant help you, this is all i know about variable arguments

anyway, hope this helps
Here is the code for a simple routine I use to output debug information. You can use it like so:

FileDebug("Line %d, Error\n",iLine);

Here is the code:

void FileDebug( char *msg, ... )
{
FILE *fp;
va_list arglist;
char msgbuf[32768];

va_start( arglist, msg );
vsprintf( &msgbuf[0], msg, arglist );
va_end( arglist );

fp = fopen("debug.txt","a+");
fprintf( fp, msgbuf );
fclose( fp );
}

Look into the va_start family of functions. They are called variable-argument lists.

Hope that helps!

Here is an example from the VC docs that I found to be helpful when researching this:

/* Returns the average of a variable list of integers. */int average( int first, ... ){      int count = 0, sum = 0, i = first;   va_list marker;   va_start( marker, first );     /* Initialize variable arguments. [ie- tell the program the starting address] */   while( i != -1 )   {          sum += i;          count++;     i = va_arg( marker, int);      }   va_end( marker );              /* Reset variable arguments. */   return( sum ? (sum / count) : 0 );}    

Note that in this example they are assuming that the function will be terminated with a -1. So you would call it like:
average(1,2,3,-1)

All stdarg systems have to have some kind of terminator, because the va_arg function is just getting an address and incrementing it; it can''t infer how long your list is unless you tell it. Functions like printf() figure out the length of the list by parsing the initial string argument (ie- counting the number of
%d, etc markers).

HTH
Thanks guys, that helped
- IOFILE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement