OpenGL - Whats Hot Whats Not?

Started by
18 comments, last by LizardCPP 19 years, 1 month ago
I tried the NeHe stuff and I just got confused, so I went to the Red Book, and I get it now.

In other words, go with the Red Book and Blue Book.
Advertisement
while the blue book is handy I've done well enuff without it over the years, however the Red Book is pretty much my bible when it comes to OpenGL stuff, if I need to know owt about core features then its my first stopping point.

As for a compiler, well you could always go with Dev-C++ or you could download the free beta of the next version of visual C++ from MS (you'll need the platform SDK so its really only for those on fast connections or who dont mind waiting, heh), either of which will be better than the pos which is the VC6 compiler [wink]
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by Android_s
Perhaps go to www.gametutorials.com and have a look at their Quake3 .bsp code?

I'm guessing you haven't actually been to www.gametutorials.com in a while. You might want to take another look.

No, was a few months since..

<Goes to the site>

That's ridiculous. 5$ for a tutorial? Gee, i suddenly lost a whole lot of respect for gametutorials.com.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
Sorry for the very, very late response but exams don't wait. Thanks for all the tips and such, and you should know I've been threw about 15 of NeHes tuts, and I agree with Ainokea, I really don't know what I'm doing all the time. So what are these little red and blue books you all speak of?

-Thx, Matt
Chat Name: Spartacus
The Red Book is the name given to The OpenGL Programming Guide, which is red [wink], Version 1.1 can be found for free online, current printed version is 1.4.

the Blue Book is the name given to The OpenGL Reference Guide, which sticking with the theme is blue [grin], I think version 1.0 can be found online, the printed is at least version 1.2, maybe even 1.4 by now (personally, I dont have a copy of this one and have never needed it)
To put it simply, I have to go buy it? Or is the orignal version still valid. And how much does the newer on cost?

[Edited by - SweetJesus on February 20, 2005 7:40:04 PM]
Having a hard copy in front of you is great but if you're on limited funds you can read them both online. The red book is here and the blue book can be perused here.

Hope that helps :)
--
Cheers,
Darren Clark
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
I agree with darookie. I oncetried to go through the Nehe path and I had a pretty little engine going on and then I realized I really had no idea what I was doing.
So I got me the Redbook and read through some math books and now I have a good understanding of everything I am doing.

it happened the same with me (but with gametutorials), so i when i finished most of their tutos, i didnt know what to do and why does it happened.
so i decided to buy some math books and read, then i got the redbook and opengl super bible and read "the classic" parts (transformations, color, primitives..etc) and now i understand everything. I feel better knowing what is really happennig so i can use and implement them correctly for doing a game on my own....

this is the order i would recommend.
-lear c/c++
-lear a api for 2d (winapi , sdl , allegro...) and do an easy game (pong, pacman..etc).
-lear 3D MATH (for matrices and their tranformations basically)...
- read the basis of opengl (via redbook and/or opengl super bible).
- try to implemnt your math for making a camera class and a basic collision detection.
- make a simply 3d game (that uses the 3 coordinates , like asteriods 3d or something).
- read the nehe and/or gametutorials tutos...
- make a better 3d game.......
--- you decide to keep on gameprogramming or not.....
Yes the perfect plan. I'll eat my shirt if you find me anyone whos ever followed it :P

I've always felt stupid to ask this, but now that you've brought it up, what kind of math do I have to know? I'm good in math and physics and that where I plan on goign with my life (outside of computers, liek actually physics), but so far I haven't ran into any advanced math.
www.codesampler.com
http://www.morrowland.com/apron/tut_gl.php

Lizard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement