Need Quake2 style skyboxes

Started by
5 comments, last by tcs 23 years, 5 months ago
Hi ! I coded a Quake 2 Skybox class. Now I need some good textures for it. Can anyone point me to a place where I can download some ? Or even better, can anyone do some for me ? I think you could do them with Bryce or Terragen. Thanx Tim Tim -------------------------- glvelocity.gamedev.net www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Advertisement
Hi!
Sorry no answer....but a question:Can you give me a little hint how the skybox stuff in q2\q3 woprks?
I mean in my Q3-Viewer shaders work perfectly and the sky looks perfect texture-wise.
But the geometry looks completely wrong if I just render the faces referenced in the bsp.
Somebody told me that in Q3 the geometry for the sky is created at runtime out of the referenced faces in a special way.Do you know how this is handeled in Q2?

P.s.:Why don´t you take the sky-textures out of Q3´s *.pak file?They look good....Especially the kill-sky(Q3DM1).

Greets, XBTC!
Don''t want to rip something, I would rather like to know how to do my own with Bryce...

Can''t say much about Q3, but I''ll upload a Q2 Skybox class on my site later this day, take a look !

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
quote:Original post by tcs

Don''t want to rip something, I would rather like to know how to do my own with Bryce...

It''s easy, really. Create your scene as usual, and place a free camera in the middle of it. Now you just need to render your six skybox sides with a 90 degree FOV. You can do this by pointing the camera along each of the primary axes (X, Y and Z, and in both directions of course), and then rendering a square bitmap (I use 256x256).

Very important: there''s a bug in Bryce that results in incorrect FOVs. If you want your FOV to be x degrees, you should enter x*1.25 in the camera dialog. In other words, you need to use a 112.5 degree FOV (90 * 1.25).

Also important: the "Link to view" toggles in your sky options should be OFF!
Tom Nuydens delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d
Thanx guys!
Thanx guys, I and my friend made some skyboxes. Had something to do with the FOV scaling must be set to 72 or so, if I remember it right.

I''m amazed that skyboxes are really just boxes, cubic environment mapping and such stuff is really simple ;-)

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Anyone know where I can get a demo of Bryce?

"Any statements made by the above poster are strictly opion (unless otherwise stated) and may be offensible to some readers."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement