Sign in to follow this  

Different Heights cause problems for visibility...

This topic is 4678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The best way would be to create custom tiles to delineate the edges, perhaps as cliffs. Perhaps give the cliff rim a trimming of dirt and rock, something to make it stand out against the similar background. It would accent the cliff edge and make it easier to navigate as well.

Shadows would help a lot. If you're using opengl/directx/equiv, then you could just fake shadows by tinting the corners of a tile darker when they are adjecant to a higher tile, and slightly lighter when they are close to a lower tile. That would create contrast without looking too starnge, I think.

If you're using some kind of 2D API, it might be more difficult to create such tinting.

I like the idea of having the different heights having different shades of the same tile. But then in my SpriteCache class I would have to have a new sprite for every map layer on the map. Now this should not be all that big of a problem... but it might.

Since I am using a 2D api I am unable to do the cool shadows etc. But I can make it so when you add a tile to the internal Sprite Cache that it really adds, say 4 of them (or the map.maxheight()) with different tints, this way I don't have to worry about rendering the tints everyframe, and I don't have to have them prerendered in my graphics directory.

Thanks!!

I'm just wondering about having a height to a tile like you do, you meantion that there would be maybe 4 different heights to the tiles, what my question is how does your character walk along these tiles? are they limited to walk as long as its flat? do they have to jump to higher levels? or can they only move to tiles that are the same level or one different?

Anyways on Topic I would agree that having different shades based on how high the tile is would work well, then you could compare tiles on either side of the room to see what is at the same height

Right now characters can move from any height to any height. But in the works is the stats system that will have agility as the variable to help determine the max height that a character can move over.
And also as of right now characters can only 'walk' down or right (southwest/southeast) because of some layering problems I'm working out... arg...

I actually have done it with the box outline, but I wanted there to be more unity between the tiles. Maybe I could get there to be an outline around each layer. Excellent screenshot even though I couldn't get the applet to work...

Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
I actually have done it with the box outline, but I wanted there to be more unity between the tiles. Maybe I could get there to be an outline around each layer. Excellent screenshot even though I couldn't get the applet to work...
oh, those waves, they aren't real, they're an optical illusion.

Your problem is that you don't have any kind of lighting, which makes thing look flat. Try adding lighting, it's easy if you're doing 3D, or you'd have to manually work out the lighting equations if not. Another thing you could do is use a heightmap (tycoon-games style) and use vertical blocks only when you need walls.

Another thing: why is your terrain so irregular and fragmentated ?

My game is using s 2D api, so lighting could get a little complivated, but I did like the idea of shading each layer, lower darker, higher lighter. I/m not doing the heightmap thing because the purpose of my engine is to pretty much clone FFT/TacticsOgre.
My terrain is so fragmented and irregular in this screen shot because the height of every tile was changed randomly every frame. It was a way of testing some of my update algorithms, and it showed what I was talking about very well.

This topic is 4678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.