Different Heights cause problems for visibility...

Started by
10 comments, last by H_o_p_s 19 years, 1 month ago
Old screenshot, but you get the idea. How do you make the grass tiles not blend in on each other, but actually make it apparant that they are at different heights?
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Advertisement
The best way would be to create custom tiles to delineate the edges, perhaps as cliffs. Perhaps give the cliff rim a trimming of dirt and rock, something to make it stand out against the similar background. It would accent the cliff edge and make it easier to navigate as well.
also, perhaps using different brightnesses of tiles,

lower ones darker, higher ones lighter,

just a thought =)

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Shadows would help a lot. If you're using opengl/directx/equiv, then you could just fake shadows by tinting the corners of a tile darker when they are adjecant to a higher tile, and slightly lighter when they are close to a lower tile. That would create contrast without looking too starnge, I think.

If you're using some kind of 2D API, it might be more difficult to create such tinting.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I like the idea of having the different heights having different shades of the same tile. But then in my SpriteCache class I would have to have a new sprite for every map layer on the map. Now this should not be all that big of a problem... but it might.

Since I am using a 2D api I am unable to do the cool shadows etc. But I can make it so when you add a tile to the internal Sprite Cache that it really adds, say 4 of them (or the map.maxheight()) with different tints, this way I don't have to worry about rendering the tints everyframe, and I don't have to have them prerendered in my graphics directory.

Thanks!!
I'm just wondering about having a height to a tile like you do, you meantion that there would be maybe 4 different heights to the tiles, what my question is how does your character walk along these tiles? are they limited to walk as long as its flat? do they have to jump to higher levels? or can they only move to tiles that are the same level or one different?

Anyways on Topic I would agree that having different shades based on how high the tile is would work well, then you could compare tiles on either side of the room to see what is at the same height
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Right now characters can move from any height to any height. But in the works is the stats system that will have agility as the variable to help determine the max height that a character can move over.
And also as of right now characters can only 'walk' down or right (southwest/southeast) because of some layering problems I'm working out... arg...
this is how I do it.

I just render a thin box around the top of the tile.

screenshot in case you can't load the applet:

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I actually have done it with the box outline, but I wanted there to be more unity between the tiles. Maybe I could get there to be an outline around each layer. Excellent screenshot even though I couldn't get the applet to work...
Quote:Original post by H_o_p_s
I actually have done it with the box outline, but I wanted there to be more unity between the tiles. Maybe I could get there to be an outline around each layer. Excellent screenshot even though I couldn't get the applet to work...
oh, those waves, they aren't real, they're an optical illusion.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement