Sign in to follow this  

D3DXFont Research / Drunken Hyena

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I would like to invite you to share your opinion about font performanence. Since DirectX SDK December 2004 there is not Font->Begin and Font->End methods. What does that mean? When you start using/blitting fonts on screen the device sets the required settings and just leaves them as it? How does the device know when it is done? My master questions are: 1. Why doesn't anyone use D3DXSPRITE interface to draw fonts? 2. Is the D3DXSPRITE slower than render a triangle list? 3. Could a triangle strip be faster? 4. Has vertex cache any role? 5. Is D3DXFONT still the fastest? 6. Can you load/save custom fonts/bitmaps into D3DXFONT? I was wondering if I use some fonts and they work for me, I could record them in case anyone else does not have them. My idea of font drawing is a pre-prepared triangle list and when user calls TextOut the DrawSize increases, so the list doesn't get resized every time. Drunken Hyena: Could you perform tests with new font interface and post some results? The fonts are still a bottle neck, because framerate drops are noticed.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Self-made font systems are great(with all bunch of effects you could think of)
But,for asian languages,it is way more complicated than just making characters in bitmaps

1) D3DXFont uses D3DXSprite internally to draw each glyph
2) D3DXSprite uses a dynamic indexed triangle list
3) Probably not, you are drawing separate quads
4) A small one, each quad is 2 triangles, so 2 of the 6 indices are repeated
5) D3DXFont is pretty fast, for a general solution.
6) D3DXFont only works with fonts known to GDI. There is no loading or saving of custom font bitmaps.

xyzzy

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.