Road to my future! Point me to the right direction!

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
Hey all,My dream is to make a ComercialQ 3D Game Engine! Well i have never coded before ever... But thats my 17 year old dream. And i want to acomplish it. But to learn you need to be teached. Thats why im here.To learn from the GameDev Community! And im not looking to make the Unreal3Engine!(that would be to noob like) Ill start simple and easy. It might take years but ill learn all i need to learn! Just a few things first.Ok? What Programming Language should i use?(Keep in mind that my goal is an engine) What kind of engine is a really simple engine?(To start with) Should i learn OpenGL or DX? Any books,tutorials,tips,D/Ls,sites,articles,etc...? Thats all for now. Thanx GameDev Community!!!
Advertisement
Many of your answers are right here on this site. Start off in For beg section. Worked for me....
Start here, and then read this. Then ask any additional/remaining questions. That should help you to get started with your dream, and there are also links to additional resources found within.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok thanx :)

Hey what about books and all?

I was thinking to start with C++.
Still dont know nothing about DX or OGL.(Need Help there)

I think i should get some books about C++ and DX or OGL.What do you guys think?

And tell me of the best books for those things.And 3dgame engine programming and other need to know things.

Thanx GameDev Community.
1. Make 10,000,000 USD
2. Hire team of developers
3. ?
4. Profit

Seriously though, read through the For Beginners section, thoroughly. Pick a language. (There are tons of threads on this, search for them.) The Books section has reviews on many kinds of books.

Write some text games (it sucks, do it). Get a window on the screen. Make your _own_ mind up as to whether to use OpenGL or DirectX. I work with both, they're effectively the same and by the point you know the differences you'll be able to switch as is necessary anyway.

This is all about your own intitiative.

Good luck.
The first skill you'll need to develope is 'independant research and study'. Posting a thread like this asking these questions is not a good start in that direction. This stuff is hard. You have to learn it on your own ultimately anyway.

Hint: think of google as your 'extended memory'. It will recall anything you'd like to 'remember' ;P .

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement