Sign in to follow this  

The "right" way to load in sprites

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently using the sprite classes from cone3d...becuse I'm lazy...and havent had any motivation to make my own...but I've heard that the way to load sprites by cone3d isn't good...how would you do this the "right" way? //walle

I never much liked the Cone3d method either. For the game I'm working on now I wrote a small utility that allows me to load in a big bitmap and select frames for animation by pointing and clicking. I use the utility to set the frame delay and to see a preview of what it will look like in the game.

My sprite class is pretty simplistic. I store each frame in a vector of BITMAP pointers (using Allegro, obviously this would change depending on which API you're using). The sprite class reads a ".spr" file which stores the x,y,w,h, of each frame of animation, the total frame count, and the frame delay.

That's really all there is to it. I don't know if it's the "right" way, but it works, it's fast, and it's easy to use.

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.