Skeletal animation math

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
Hmm I can't seem to make progress on the shrinking, at the moment Ive got it making a good simulation of what happens to a straw when you bend it... but that dosn't help in simulating a human skeleton, let alone any other skeleton.

Any Tips on it, I dont like the idea of adding "sub" bones to the joints because it is already quite demanding as it is with just the regular skeleton. and I dont quite understand what you mean by Sharpening, to me that sounds like a step back to when I first started... but perhapes im not seeing it in the right light.

Quote:Original post by raydog
"is that correct? Shouldn't you be looping weights per vertex instead?"

The number of weights = numberofbones. unless you drop bones because of lack of infulence.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
By sharpening, I just meant make the falloff sharper so that the blend isn't spread out over such a large area. This causes creasing but that is what you want for an elbow or knee.

Most artists create the mesh with this in mind and concentrate extra vertices around the joints. The arm skinning app I mentioned earlier that I did in 1998 shows this. In that app you can also see the problem when you twist the bones.

RE: "adding extra bones" You are right, it is a bit expensive and most people just don't bother. We just live with the limitations. But in the right case or for a key character it works well. I have used an extra bicep bone to have a procedural muscle bulge for instance and it looked great.

But I think you have all the tech right. From now on it is just an art and design problem. Build the model right and adjust the weights so it looks as good as possible.
Another technique that helps is to build the model at the half way of the max deflected position and weighted there. That way the error will be more evenly distributed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement