Sign in to follow this  

Unresolved external symbol error

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting to create my engine, and I want to make a level editor for it. To do so, I made a new project in VC.NET and added the engine project to the solution. I listed the engine as a reference in the editor's project, and I made sure ot match all the right include directories, etc. in the properties. I go to compile, and every function in the engine project that I call in the editor project throws something like: LevelEditor error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall WindowManager::ResizeWindow(int,int)" (?ResizeWindow@WindowManager@@QAEXHH@Z) referenced in function "long __stdcall WindowsMsgHandler(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WindowsMsgHandler@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z) What am I doing wrong?

It might not be enough to "reference" the other project, as you would also need to link against the intermediary code produced by the source files in the other project.

Include the entire other project in the editor so everything can be linked together, OR compile the other project as a static lib and link that lib to your project, OR compile the other project, put the translation units in the intermediary folder of your editor, and link them in the project.

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.