Sign in to follow this  

The best selling games ever...

This topic is 4680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1) Super Mario Bros. (NES) - 40 Million
2) Tetris (Game Boy) - 33 Million
3) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) 18 Million
4) Super Mario World (SNES) - 17 Million
5) Super Mario Land (Game Boy) - 14 Million
6) Super Mario 64 (N64) - 11 Million
7) The Sims (PC) - 10 Million
8) Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - 10 Million
9) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) - 8.5 Million
10) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS1) - 8 Million
11) GoldenEye (N64) - 8 Million
12) Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 8 Million
13) Super Mario Kart (SNES) - 8 Million
14) Pokemon Red/Blue (Game Boy) - 8 Million
15) Half-Life (PC) - 8 Million
16) Tomb Raider II (PS1) - 8 Million
17) Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - 7.8 Million
18) Myst (PC) - 7 Million
19) Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - 7 Million
20) Dragon Warrior VII (PS1) - 6 Million

(I do not claim the validity of any of those figures. nor can I back them up)

"Elite" set many firsts, and was the first genuine 3D game on home computers. Even many years after its release it is fondly remembered. For example "Probably the best computer game ever" (The Times, December 1988). It went on to sell around 1,000,000 units, and is popular still, having appeared on most popular formats.

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
Quote:
Original post by ProPuke
...mario mario mario mario...

Must be taken from some Nintendo fan site ;)

Well.. find the little yellow easter egg & you'll find out ;][attention]

Fronter: Elite 2 was released in 1993 primarily by David Braben (Half of the original duo who created the original Elite) & was the first (& apparent only that I have found) game ever to go to such detail levels as to generate the entire universe using astronomically correct algorithmic models. The emphasize in Frontier was to create an entirely realisitic world for the player.
Some sections of code were supplied by the other half of this duo - Ian Bell. But due to the seemingly identical release of Frontier: First Encounters in 95 (which cut Ian Bell out of the royalities) a personal dispute occoured & the 2 are since to work together again.
Many rumours have been floating around for a few years now about the Release of an Elite 4 though David Brabens established Frontier Developments company. However this has seemed to have turned to vapourware, little is known now about the position of the company

[Edited by - ProPuke on March 17, 2005 9:39:44 PM]

Aa interesting numbers, they seem to be correct. Sadens me that Civlization and the Ultima series didn't sell in those numbers, they sold good but not that good.

I grew up with Tetris and Mario Bros, they sure were great.

Quote:
Original post by ProPuke
Many rumours have been floating around for a few years now about the Release of an Elite 4 through Ian Bells established Frontier Developments company.

Other way around - Frontier is Dave Braben's company, not Ian's.

My favourite Braben game was Virus. I tested the ST/Amiga versions which were published by Telecomsoft (long dead). Not the same massive scale as Elite but the wonderful control system made for a really weird game; loved it.

The figure for Half Life is a little inaccurate. It was derived from a quote from a marketing guy at Vivendi who stated that the Half-Life family had sold 8 million - the family included all games based on the Half Life engine - HL, CS, DoD, Gunman etc that Valve were involved in or which mod teams did and were then sold through Valve/Vivendi.

This topic is 4680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.