The best selling games ever...

Started by
12 comments, last by Obscure 19 years, 2 months ago
I was just wondering, how many copies did the best selling games sold? I would assume games like diablo, sims, doom would be of those best selling games...
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
1) Super Mario Bros. (NES) - 40 Million
2) Tetris (Game Boy) - 33 Million
3) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) 18 Million
4) Super Mario World (SNES) - 17 Million
5) Super Mario Land (Game Boy) - 14 Million
6) Super Mario 64 (N64) - 11 Million
7) The Sims (PC) - 10 Million
8) Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - 10 Million
9) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) - 8.5 Million
10) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS1) - 8 Million
11) GoldenEye (N64) - 8 Million
12) Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 8 Million
13) Super Mario Kart (SNES) - 8 Million
14) Pokemon Red/Blue (Game Boy) - 8 Million
15) Half-Life (PC) - 8 Million
16) Tomb Raider II (PS1) - 8 Million
17) Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - 7.8 Million
18) Myst (PC) - 7 Million
19) Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - 7 Million
20) Dragon Warrior VII (PS1) - 6 Million

(I do not claim the validity of any of those figures. nor can I back them up)
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
What about Elite?

How many copies it sold?
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
*hugs the weird croatian guy* Ahh how I loved Elite!
on a sidenote: No idea on the sales figures though. Go look it up :]
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Halo 2 - Already 7 mil - and only 3 months old.
I believe the biggest selling game of all time is Super Mario 64. However, it may have already been surpassed by Halo 2.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Quote:Original post by ProPuke
...mario mario mario mario...

Must be taken from some Nintendo fan site ;)

shmoove
"Elite" set many firsts, and was the first genuine 3D game on home computers. Even many years after its release it is fondly remembered. For example "Probably the best computer game ever" (The Times, December 1988). It went on to sell around 1,000,000 units, and is popular still, having appeared on most popular formats.

-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Quote:Original post by ProPuke
...mario mario mario mario...

Must be taken from some Nintendo fan site ;)

Well.. find the little yellow easter egg & you'll find out ;][attention]

Fronter: Elite 2 was released in 1993 primarily by David Braben (Half of the original duo who created the original Elite) & was the first (& apparent only that I have found) game ever to go to such detail levels as to generate the entire universe using astronomically correct algorithmic models. The emphasize in Frontier was to create an entirely realisitic world for the player.
Some sections of code were supplied by the other half of this duo - Ian Bell. But due to the seemingly identical release of Frontier: First Encounters in 95 (which cut Ian Bell out of the royalities) a personal dispute occoured & the 2 are since to work together again.
Many rumours have been floating around for a few years now about the Release of an Elite 4 though David Brabens established Frontier Developments company. However this has seemed to have turned to vapourware, little is known now about the position of the company

[Edited by - ProPuke on March 17, 2005 9:39:44 PM]
Yeah, Frontier still amazes me today for it's originality. And it's now more than 10 years ago?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement