the book "focus on sdl"

Started by
5 comments, last by eedok 19 years, 2 months ago
Is it anyone that have read the book,is it good? I would like to hear som comments. Im thinking of buying it, Is there any better books for a newbi as myself.
Advertisement
Good reference. But it doesn't really go into depth on how to use OpenGL with it.
It is great! Mr. Pazera did a fine job going over everything that you need while explaning it well. It is definitly a good reference to have to learn SDL with. He breaks it down into 3 parts. Part 1 is the core basics of SDL. Part 2 goes over the addon libraries that you will need to add functionality to your games. Finally, Part 3, he does something that a lot of other authors don't, he ties everything he has covered into a SDL Game Application Framework. All of the code is on the CD while he briefly goes over it in the book. I have not yet looked at the cd though [lol], don't ask me why. I think it was just because I took a break from SDL, but I plan on returning some day...

Well those are just my opinons on it. It is a short book, 325 total pages, but it's written in a no-bs/ "im not gonna waste your time" fashion that I see a lot of in game programming books. I'd say you should get it if you are uncomfortable learning from the web, for the majority of all of this can be learned if you use the docs and visit the mailing lists and forums. Note that it is a 'focus on SDL' and is not 'game programming in sdl' [wink]. One last thing is that it was written from SDL 1.2.3, 1.2.8 is out now, so the concepts are the same, but there may be a few discrepences in final source code. Take a look at the GameDev reviews.

- Drew
"Note that it is a 'focus on SDL' and is not 'game programming in sdl' ."

Well, I want to learn how to make simpel games. like the snake and other games. Do I have any use of this book then?? I have used some tutoials on the net to create a PONG-game. But i didnt understand everything i coded. And I had big problems when the game had some bugs
Quote:Original post by knarjons
"Note that it is a 'focus on SDL' and is not 'game programming in sdl' ."

Well, I want to learn how to make simpel games. like the snake and other games. Do I have any use of this book then?? I have used some tutoials on the net to create a PONG-game. But i didnt understand everything i coded. And I had big problems when the game had some bugs

No, this book is not for you then. It teaches you what the components are for your SDL game, but it will not teach you how to make games. One way you can learn how to make games are the tutorials from Cone3D. Other varities of games you will have to do on your own with the knowledge you pick up along the way. Take a look at this page as well. It has what you need to get started in 2d simple games. After that you are on your own. Good luck!

- Drew
Thanks for the links, Aarons Game programming was new to me and its in my favorite folder now. I think i buy the book anyway. It cant do any damage. And it wasnt to expencive.
Buy it, it's worth it.. Explains alot of things that are sparse in the documentation. If you're running linux though, you'll have to fix the case sensitive mistakes is TANSTAAFL's code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement