Sign in to follow this  

Collision for Jakobsen article

This topic is 4686 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been reading through Jakobsen 'Advanced Character Physics' article for the past few days so I can implement some of his ideas into my 3d simulation. I am at section 6, and it talks about collision response. It does not go into detail about the collision detection method he is using and I would like to know what articles are avaiable for collision detection for his paper. I need to find out the penetration depth from a collision check against a ray and a 3D object. I don't know where to find such information about this. Currently I'm just doing a simple ray-polygon check to see when there is a collision and bouncing the two particles in the direction of the polygons normal, and ignoring the pentetration depth altogether. Not a good idea as a ray can pass through multiple polygons thus I could be bouncing the particles in the wrong direction. The idea I have come up with is to do a cylinder-cylinder collision check, 1 cylinder for the ray, and 1 cylinder for an edge of two polygons, but I can't seem to find any information about such a method. Any help is appreicated FYI, it for a cloth simulation, but I want to the collision to work with the cloths edges and not just its points.

You can do a Ray-Quad collision test 6 times with each side of the cube. This will get you a lambda value which represents the distance from the starting point of the ray which you test to see if it is less than the length of the rod.

Look up some raytracing tutorials which detail ray-triangle/plane testing.

This topic is 4686 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.