Sign in to follow this  

A way to use Visual C++ 2003 toolkit with VS6

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I discovered a simple way to use the new C++ toolkit with the old VS6 editor. It is nice because it is very simple, no plugins are needed. WARNING: If you do this and screw everything up DO NOT BLAME ME! Proceed at your own risk. All that is necessary is to copy the Visual C++ toolkit 2003 into the VS6 C++ directory. That's it :-) You can not use shortcuts. First, go into <root>\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98 ***MOVE EVERYTHING IN THIS DIRECTORY TO ANOTHER DIRECTORY. CALL IT OLD. IF YOU FORGET TO BACK THIS UP YOUR OLD COMPILER WILL BE TOAST*** once everything is backed up, simply copy everything in the VC 2003 C++ toolkit into the same directory. Many of the switches are different between the two versions so you will have to adjust them for the new compiler. You can change all that in the project->settings. I have tested it with a few apps so far it works but can't guarantee it will work for everything. [EDIT] Debuggin works see next message [/EDIT] You will need to get the new platform SDK and set up your dirs to look there instead. Dunno if anyone is interested in this. All of the tools are named exactly the same between versions, so there is no difference other than you are using the new tools with the old editor. You can't load in VS .NET projects. I'd suggest just to get VS 2003 honest :-) [Edited by - qesbit on February 12, 2005 4:02:41 PM]

Apparently no one is interested but I got the debugger to work too. It works just like VS6 except you have the new compiler. I have not seen anyone mention doing this at all, so I thought I'd post about it.

To get the debugger to work, you must copy the files in the old VC6 bin directory into the new bin directory. Do not overwrite any files from the new toolkit. You can than debug normally.

That's it, people have complained about not being able to compile with the new DX9 SDK with VS6 but now you can without spending $600+ for a new compiler :-)

[EDIT]
I am going to whip up a converter to convert VC7.1 solutions to VC++ 6. It should not be a very difficult process. If people are interested I will find a way to distribute it.

Quote:
Original post by qesbit
Apparently no one is interested ...

Well you usually should give a thread a few days before you should say that rather than one hour...[wink] What I was going to do is try and make my own little IDE with the new toolkit, just for fun. On this same topic, anyone want to try this with Dev-CPP [lol]. Now that would be really intresting... *hint* *hint* Thanks for sharing the knowledge though, it is appreciated.

- Drew

I have it working perfectly now. I just compiled Ogre RC1 with the new compiler.

Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 does not come with the Multithreaded dll runtime libs. But it does come with the DLLs. So, you have to make an implib of these. Either you do it the hard way (dumpbin, lib) or find a utility on the net that will automatically do it for you. You can only link to the Release libraries though.

The steps can be simplified:
make a backup copy of all files and directories in VC98copy all the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 directories into the VC98 directory over all the original files
install the platform SDK
set the include and lib paths to the platform SDK before anything else
create an implib of msvcr71.dll and msvcpr71.dll to MSVCRT.lib and MSVCPRT.lib
use the command line in projects->settings to change compiler/linker flags as needed to take advantage of new stuff.

You can than use VS6 with the new compiler.

Note, there is nothing in the EULA saying you can not do this. IANAL but I saw nothing that would prohibit this as long as you have legal software and do not copy the libs from VS 2003.

Doubt many people will find this useful but I had a need to do it and thought I'd let others know if they have the same situation.

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.