Sign in to follow this  

Is it ok?...

This topic is 4684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it ok if I don't clearly understand pointers, switch case, and structures, and arrays. I just started on them tonight. I heard pointers were tough, which I agree. I mean I can go on and learn more of them just like algebra right? You don't exctly understand the formula of 1:x+10= 2: X=5 3: 10 +5 = and so on. I know I skipped some stuff in it, but do ya see my point? Like say I don't understand that formula and I go on and then it is like BINGO! EUREKA! I HAVE FINALLY GOT IT! Is it the same way in C++?

Both yes and no. Pointers are best understood with time...and eventually you will say "oh, yes, I understand." Until that point, however, they will be the single most frustrating and dangerous tool in your programming arsenal. I highly recommend you do not put off getting the hang of these.

Switch cases, structures, and arrays should all be fairly simple to understand.

I would say yes for some things. For pointers, you can go on without having a firm grasp of them and get them eventually. However, I would go back and try to understand the other things because they are quite important for future concepts. For instance, you won't understand classes if you don't understand structs. You should try and reread switch statements and arrays, they will prove to be important in the long run.

I think pointers are quite simple to understand, they store a memory address. However, the hard part to understand is that the memory pointed to can be dynamically allocated memory, which you have to make sure you release when you've finished with that memory - to me, that is the hard part to understanding pointers.

With structures, I never really understood the need for them when I was first learning. However, after starting to program little projects, I soon saw how valuable they are; they really help keep your code organised, which means it's easier to fix when things go wrong.

If you have any problems in particular, post them here and I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.

Pointers arent so bad, most of the learning curve is understanding how memory works, and what exactly pointers are (sounds simple, but it isnt when your learning). I didnt understand them for quite some time, but inevitabley you will need to know what the are. Id reccomend taking a look at this.

Classes and structures you will DEFINATELY need to know. You wont get very far at all in programming without knowing how to use these. They are the two fundamental things in object orientated C++.

As for switch and case, They are useful to know, but not 100% neccessary (although it is good to have the knowlege for when you need it).

This topic is 4684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.