Professional Source Code

Started by
44 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 1 month ago
Has anybody got a link to some free profesional source code, so I can get a picture of what the professionals do over at electronic arts or codemasters etc. I'm dying to know how complex their code is, and if I can ever get that far. Oh ... Do some of those major game companies use the stuff that nehe teaches in that tutorial, or is there stuff way out of this planet?
"My Knowledge Has Served Me Right. Unless It Is Serving Me Wrong".
Advertisement
Well, there's some links to some professional source code for various games here at GameDev.
Thanks, I'l check it out.
Here is a list of proffesional games who are now free (to play): http://liberatedgames.com/gamelisting.php . The source are not always included so you'll have to dig a bit to find all the sources.

Beware professional code != good code. Have a look at http://thedailywtf.com/ if you want to be convinced.
Try the Doom 3 sdk.
If you'd like, you could head over to id software's tech downloads, where you can get the Quake/QuakeII source among other things.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Unfortunately, seeing professional source code is usually not a major eye opening experience that shows you the beauty of perfect software engineering. It's generally pretty bad, and sometimes you wonder how such an incredibly awesome game can have code that is that bad.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Thanks for the replies. I downloaded a few of the games as the first guy said, and tryed compiling them with VC++ 6.0, and none of them worked.

...But they where still good to look at, withough compiling. I got a fair idea.
I looked at QuakeII source when I was trying to figure how to organise my code.... and just went WTF

didn't get much of it. Figured I'd be better off cooking my own solutions.
Lots of files though.
Lots.

I'll know if thats really necessary when my project is done =)
Working on a fully self-funded project
I have taken a look at the Quake 2 source and i was also lik OMG!!!!

To be honest if i ever get into the industry as planned my code will probably end up being bodges simply because of deadlines etc.

ace

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement