Professional Source Code

Started by
44 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 1 month ago
Looking at professional source can easily disappoint you. BTW: As much people are working on it as big "mess" it becomes :)
Advertisement
This is one of the great things about Open Source.

I cannot understand why hobby programmers insist on not giving out their source code with their games. When comparing what some guy in his bedroom has written compared to the offering of a professional company it does sound kind of absurd.
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
Yeah, that quake II source code is like ... :o ... And so are the rest of the games there. I think I'l just work on my own code. I can't see myself ever interpreting there code as sence - I'm not 1337 enough yet.

...Oneday...Oneday.
Woops, the above post is by me lol. I though I was logged in :/
"My Knowledge Has Served Me Right. Unless It Is Serving Me Wrong".
A good place to learn techniques used in professional games is the IOCCC. Take a look at some of the entries and try to decipher them and figure out what they do, then run it and see if your guess was right.

This essay/article/book is also very important if you ever plan on programming professionally. (You can also learn from it by *not* doing what it says)
I'm making a flight sim using the Freespace 2 source code. There are some very ugly things going on it there. Unless I want to rewrite major parts of the code I just have to go with it and do what they do.
Hmm, how about Quake 3? It seems like the source has already been released (look at this page), but the downloads don't work for me. Any mirrors or such?
The Quake series is terrible for explaining how to write good good, great games? Sure. Great code? Ehhhhhh.
If you're looking for some generally very well done code, I'd check out some stuff by Paul Nettle on his Fluid Studios webpage. Note that he's using some odd HTML trickery on that page, the stuff you want's on the Source Code page. That's what I see as "production quality" code.
Quote:Original post by Sijmen
Hmm, how about Quake 3? It seems like the source has already been released (look at this page), but the downloads don't work for me. Any mirrors or such?

Ahh, mad. Im gunna check out that source. Hopefully I can actually compile it :/
"My Knowledge Has Served Me Right. Unless It Is Serving Me Wrong".
After working on a professional project I can honestly say that some of the stuff is out of this world and mind boggling. That does not go without saying that well commented code and seeing syntax that I am used to made the code easy to understand and modify.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement