Sign in to follow this  

Vector + Texture Graphics

This topic is 4688 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering, would you guys think it would be sorta cool to play a game that used vector graphics, yet filled the vertor images with textures. What I'm getting at is that you have a wireframe triangle, but you add a texture into it and draw borders tracing the vector image. It would be sorta cool I think. I was wanting to get some of your thoughts on it thou.

No, what I'm talking about is using pure vector graphics! Then filling in the shapes with a texture, while still using the vectors as borders. I know what cell shading is and what I'm talking about is nothing like it. This doesn't look at all like cartoons but more or less very simple and primitive polygons that are filled with textures. By the way, I'm not talkong about 3D I'm talking about 2D.

For example, take you original Asteroids game. Very nice vector graphics! Now to do what I'm talking about would be to draw a text inside the vector graphics. So you would like, still have the vector graphics, but the would have a texture also filling them. Man I wish I could come up with an actual example.

Just think of 2D vector graphics as you would normally would. Then fill the shapes with any color you want. Now instead of filling the shapes with a solid color, use textures. That is what I'm talking about.

Cell shading would be something completely different from what I'm talking about. Do you understand? It's really hard to explain this, but what I'm talking about it filling 2D vector graphics with texture images.

Hmmm... I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly is the difference between normal 2D graphics and your idea? If you fill the vector objects with textures, it would look exactly like a normal 2D sprite with a border... which, as Sure Shot pointed out, could be done very, very simply without vector graphics at all. Again, I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't see the point. Perhaps I just misunderstood you?

In contrast to the above posters, to me it sounds like you're talking about using say OpenGL with Z=0 for everything. You're just drawing regular textured triangles, and then drawing the lines of the triangles over the textures.

I'm not sure how your idea is different from a 3D game w/o the Z dimension.

Yes! You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about bordered sprites and if the borders were painted on the actuall textures, but filling in verctor graphics with texture images while keeping there shape and using the vectors for borders.

I was just asking fi you people would think it would look gay or not. It's sorta like regualr old sprites but instead of using rectangles you use triangles, squares, etc.. For example, a solid triangle. Not much to look at but give it some borders. Now instead of filling it with a solid color you would fill it with a texture (i.e. the vertices would contain texture coordinates).

The look I'm talking about is sorts weird but in the same time cool. You could add lighting and other cool effects to get a really, really unique looking graphics.

Nobody knows what I'm talking about? Hmm... well that sucks! I was hoping someone would. Well any ways, I'll have to build and application that uses the graphics that I'm speaking of then show you guys what I'm talking about with a demo! Then you would see what I'm talking about.

Would any of you like to see it?

This topic is 4688 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.