• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Montago

Why is there no focus system in games

This topic is 4905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that this kind of graphics might pull some teeths out... but i gotta ask... In 3d games, the Point of View (POW) allways has an infinite focus... everything is visible, and theres no major difference to the center vs corner visibility in photography, you have a Depth Of Field (DOF), where the center is the least distorted area, and things out of focus, can be either identifieable or not, depending of the DOF To make games more realistic, i think that a DOF system should be invented, or at least included... where the Crosshair defines the Focus point... the AutoFocus could then have a slight delay, in order to make the fealing of focusing realistic... like when eyes focus from short to long distance The stuff that are out of focus shouldn't be so smeared that you get lost, when moving around... just enough to make the fealing of focusing come true... is this idea too weird to be implemented, or is it too hardware consuming that its impossible to be made and therefore not seen in any games ?? im just asking :-)

Advertisement
Why is there no focus system in games

Because it's expensive.

Now, with shaders it may be possible, but that's a relatively recent development.

The problem is knowing what the player is focusing on. It's possible to stare at one thing and focus quite a few different levels. I can imagine most players not appreciating not being able to see.

Thats the point... You see what you focus on...

im not talking of a whole tunneling vision... just some bluriness to the sides

when playing Quake 3 and all those other fast FPS games... people are killed with the blink of an eye...

you spot players in each side of the screen, and in a split second you nail him... Focus system would make a tad harder to spot players out of focus... just like sniper-vision...

the whole focus system, would also contibute to some level of aestethics and add realism to the game...

But how will you know what the player is focusing on? If you show a scene with objects in the foreground and objects in the background, how will you know whether the player is really looking at the foreground ones, or past them?

Once we have the technology to reliably track the player's eye movements, maybe ... until then, I think it would only be frustrating.

Like i said... the crosshair defines focus

and maybe some buttons to lock it... i donno...

Remember ... its not total blur... just a removal of the standard infinite view...

Quote:
Original post by Montago
Like i said... the crosshair defines focus

and maybe some buttons to lock it... i donno...

Remember ... its not total blur... just a removal of the standard infinite view...

The crosshair defines orientation. I know I move my eyes considerably more often, and considerably faster, than I move the crosshair.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Original post by Miserable
But how will you know what the player is focusing on?

Eye trackers, anybody? [smile]

I know they exist, but how many gamers do you know who use them? [rolleyes]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Tales of Symphonia, a Gamecube roleplay game, uses such a focusing..

I was very surprised and I think it is a nice innovation!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!