Wich API(opinnion)

Started by
2 comments, last by Sander 19 years, 2 months ago
I was just wondering what API you like better OpenGL or DX and if your could support your choice with examples. Oh and "no Fighting lets keeper clean" this is just so i can make my dicision on what one i will use.
Advertisement
I started with DX (MS), because I was using VB (MS), and because there were DX libs for VB.

But yeah, now I'm using SDL, which is a GREAT starting API, and would probably be the easiest to use. Second easiest would be OGL, third, DX. Granted, IMO, power is proportional to the difficulty.

I'd try SDL out a little bit - its fun, easy, portable, and provides a good foundation for further learning.
You can download the documentation and developer libs here.
Same as Mushu, I started with DirectX because I was programming in Visual Basic. I'm still using DirectX now, and have yet to try OpenGL, although I plan to take the time to learn the basics this year. SDL is also an excellent API, but I can't talk too much about the features, as I've only familiarised myself with the basics.

I'd recommend you take a look at the available documentation and pick one yourself - it's really just a personal preference (unless of course a particular choice becomes better for you due to the platform you wish to target). Also keep in mind that once you've learnt one graphics API, you should then have an easier time learning (at least upto about the same skill level) another, although some can be harder than others, and obviously some features may be different.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This has been discussed to death already, plus there are some very good articles about this. Please use the search function.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement